Sing Me A Song For My Ears

Aug 27, 2017, 02:13 PM

Yikes! I joined the forum yesterday and I figured I might as well jump right in. Here’s the rough recording of this song, from words on a piece of paper to a recording in an evening. I will spare you all the disclaimers about imperfections, but overall I’m happy with the vibe. Thanks for listening and I look forward to any comments and suggestions you might have! As I said, yikes!

https://soundcloud.com/user172366610/sing-me-a-song-for-my-ears

http://www.undergroundturtles.com

If it works, then it’s good.

Donald Mix Joined Aug 26, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 04:18 PM

Nice simple song and sentiment. I enjoyed it. Your voice is right for this kind of gentle vibe.

I’m not entirely sure about the title/hook. “Sing me a Song for my Ears” sounds a bit specific. “Not for my nose or my knee - for my ears.” It’s maybe because I’m used to hearing the word “only” at the end of the phrase. And it’s also maybe just me. Sometimes I confuse helpful suggestion with tiresome nit-picking :)

Welcome aboard, Donald. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Gavin.

Point well taken about the title/hook. It risks sounding contrived or artificial. My hope would be that it creates a little tension that the song tries to resolve. I don’t know if it works. I appreciate the chance to look at that!

I listened to your song Gillian. Nice work.

Thank you for listening and also for your kind words!

If it works, then it’s good.

Donald Mix Joined Aug 26, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 18, 2017, 09:11 PM

Hey Donald,  great overall sound quality: the guitar and your voice (which I think sounds awesome) sit really well in the mix. nice melody, simple arrangement, it stands solidly on its own. nice and mellow. I dig it!

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM