Carroll Kiphen

1 of 2

Sep 04, 2017, 02:02 AM

Hi everybody,
I’m sure many of you know Carroll Kiphen. He wanted me to let you all know that he’ll be away for a while. His house got wiped out by hurricane Harvey. He lost most of what he owned and unfortunately he had no flood insurance. He currently doesn’t have internet and therefore can’t participate here.

I’m sure he’ll have a lot to write about when he returns. I wish him all the best.

Robert Baitinger Joined Jun 01, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 04, 2017, 10:07 AM

Hate to hear that about Carrol. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. I would be glad to donate something to someone I know personally that it could help.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 04, 2017, 08:50 PM

That’s awful, Robert. Poor dear Carroll. Here’s a thought…

Carroll is so prolific. He writes all the time but I know as a lyricist, he struggles to find musicians to put his words to music. I know it is a nothing when compared to losing your house and possessions and seeing your neighbours do the same, but wouldn’t it be an awesome gift to show our support if we each took one of his lyrics (which he has always said, “Yes please take them. Use them”) and put them to music. Even if we came up with just a handful. I think it would mean a lot to him.

Any takers?

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 05, 2017, 01:16 AM

Hi Jenny,
that’s a wonderful idea. In his email to me Carroll actually wrote: “If you get any songs completed please send them to me. Could use the emotional boost. Lol.“

I have a recording session set up on the 13th with a good female vocalist and we’re going to record “Anyone But Me” together. That is one of the collab songs I recently did with Carroll.

All the best
Robert

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 05, 2017, 02:23 AM

That’s super Robert. I’m working on his “Guess that’s how it Goes” and am just looking for another one of his to do. How are you planning to send the finished song since he doesn’t have internet? Would he get my musical contributions if I sent them to his email address?

Jen

- Bob Marley

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 05, 2017, 02:28 AM

Hi Jenny,
you can communicate with him via email. Do you have his email address?

He’s staying with friends and relatives. It could take almost a year before he can move back in his house.

All the best
Robert

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 05, 2017, 06:32 AM

Yup. I do. Thanks.

- Bob Marley

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 05, 2017, 01:02 PM

It’s a really nice idea. I would like to contribute too, but I don’t have anyone to sing, and wouldn’t want to inflict my own dulcet tones on anyone else’s lyrical baby.

Jenny, I look forward to hearing “Guess That’s How it Goes.” I completely missed Carroll’s lyric “Riding Out the Storm,” which he posted on August 27th, which I guess would have been right in the middle of this mess. Talk about sang froid!

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 05, 2017, 01:39 PM

Robert,

I know Carrol a little bit, but as you know, I don’t follow everyone on their songs because I am pretty overloaded with what I do every day. But do you know any songs he is more passionate about getting finished and can point me to? I might try and take stab at something for him if that would make him feel a little better.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 05, 2017, 05:20 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 05 September 2017 01:02 PM

It’s a really nice idea. I would like to contribute too, but I don’t have anyone to sing, and wouldn’t want to inflict my own dulcet tones on anyone else’s lyrical baby.

Jenny, I look forward to hearing “Guess That’s How it Goes.” I completely missed Carroll’s lyric “Riding Out the Storm,” which he posted on August 27th, which I guess would have been right in the middle of this mess. Talk about sang froid!

Hey Gav. I’ve sent you a PM

- Bob Marley

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 05, 2017, 05:26 PM
Marc-Alan Barnette - 05 September 2017 01:39 PM

Robert,

I know Carrol a little bit, but as you know, I don’t follow everyone on their songs because I am pretty overloaded with what I do every day. But do you know any songs he is more passionate about getting finished and can point me to? I might try and take stab at something for him if that would make him feel a little better.

MAB

Hi Marc. Thanks so much for your openness to take this on. It’s hugely appreciated. I’ve sent you a PM

- Bob Marley

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 06, 2017, 01:59 AM

Hi MAB,
when you collaborate with someone you get to know them better. Carroll and I have written a double-digit number of songs and we’ve become friends. I feel kind of honored that he selected me to create this thread.

Your donation idea was great. I wrote Carroll that he should create a GoFundMe account. He wants to do that as soon as he has access to a computer again. That still could take a while.

I’m not sure if Carroll has a favorite lyric or not because he writes some 2-3 songs per day. But in May of this year he asked if I could write a pre-chorus for the following song. I didn’t have the time, but since he normally doesn’t send me lyrics via email I assume that these lines were probably kind of special to him.

All the best
Robert

PARADISE
by Carroll Kiphen
Verse
I poured your glass of wine.
Your favorite chardonnay.
I’ve drawn a bubble bath
I hope to have my way.

Placed roses on the bed
The lights are turned down low.
Just need my sweet angel
To lay down her halo.

Chorus
I want your body need your Eden
I want a piece of paradise.
I want to spend some time in heaven.
I need an angel in my life.

Verse
Put away the laundry.
I swept and mopped the floors.
I’ve cleared your agenda.
I’ve done your daily chores.

Come to bed my lover.
I’ll take care of your needs.
When you get to heaven.
Please come back here for me.

Chorus

Bridge
Paradise oh paradise
Please take me away.
Paradise oh paradise
Love is here to stay.
Verse
I poured your glass of wine.
Your favorite chardonnay.
I’ve drawn a bubble bath
I hope to have my way.

Placed roses on the bed
The lights are turned down low.
Just need my sweet angel
To lay down her halo.

Chorus

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 06, 2017, 10:46 AM

Robert,

A majority of what I do is GETTING TO KNOW THE PEOPLE I COLLABORATE WITH. Actually the process I use to write songs is to find out WHO THEY ARE and then get to the personal stories in their own lives around them that they didn’t see could make convincing songs. And 99% of the time, the really effective songs are the ones that come from the personal experiences they live. If you write reality, there is a pretty good chance that others are sharing the same reality. So you can make things that are informative, personal and relatable, as opposed to writing songs that just sound like a billion other songs. That is the reason I suggest writers actually get to KNOW ARTISTS and find out WHO THEY ARE, what they are actually going through.

It is a really important thing now with EVERYONE writing songs. Artists are simply no longer interested in saying words people put in their mouths. They want to have their REAL EMOTIONS, their REAL EXPERIENCES, their REAL LIVES, involved in the songs they are singing about. The people who are primarily writers, and not performers and looking for someone to “take their songs somewhere” are going to have to understand and adapt to that fact. The days of writing in a vacuum are actually long gone. They were replaced by the Internet.

But I appreciate the fact that you and others want to help Carroll and I hope I can contribute. I am involved with going through my Mother’s personal belongings (She died July 4th) and seeing what I can box up and ship to the relief efforts in Texas and now possibly Florida. So I hope I can send some help along. Nashville is a HUGE BENEFIT state, (Don’t call them the “VOLUNTEER STATE” FOR NOTHING) and there are a LOT of drives going on. I’ll be doing two benefits coming up in the next few weeks and there will be more to come. Next week is the Mississippi songwriter’s Festival in Ocean Springs Ms. And I’ll be there for four days. I am sure there will be a lot of drives to raise money and donations there, as they are two states over from the devistation. So we are going at it as much as we can. Just takes time.

But all these people WILL RECOVER. This is A VERY RESILIANT COUNTRY. We’ve been hit with a lot, Revolutions, Civil War, World Wars, Dust Bowls, Poverty, Depressions, Financial meltdowns, Tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, terrorism, epidemics, crime, social ills, political upheaval, and pretty much anything in between. And we ALWAYS BOUNCE BACK. Always. I’m sure this too will pass.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 06, 2017, 12:00 PM
Jenny Stokes - 05 September 2017 05:20 PM

Hey Gav. I’ve sent you a PM

Jen, your mailbox is full and won’t accept messages.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 06, 2017, 12:48 PM

She just blocks everyone.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 06, 2017, 07:24 PM

Hello All,

Robert, MAB, Jenny, Gavin, glad to see you all rallying for Carroll, I talked with him via e mail 8-29 & 8-30, last I heard he was starting to try and clean his house out.  I have worked with Carroll a lot and admire his ability as a lyricist, wish I was half as good, and I hope to continue working with him once he returns, he has a long road ahead of him.

I don’ know how Marshall Williams is doing, not sure if he was affected by all this, hope not, but I don’t have any way to get a hold of him, maybe someone that does could let us know.

Another one of our community is starring down the barrel of IRMA, Barry David Butler lives in Florida, ( he lives in the city where I came from before moving to Tennessee ), he also worked with Carroll on some material, I wish him the best, hope ya’ll do too.

Best wishes to all,

Speak soon,

Ron

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2