Has this happened to anyone?

Sep 13, 2017, 01:21 PM

I just wanted to get some input from people on something. I have spent the past month working with a vocalist on a song. Its been one of those careful re-structuring lyrics and fine tuning of guitar tracks. I literally spent 6 hours ( x 3 days) on one session playing the guitar just to get the melody of the first verse the way I wanted it. The song was approaching the final product when a huge disappointment occurred.
A heard a song that I had not listened to in 20 years . After listening to the song , I realized that its melody was very similar to the collaborated song I was working on.( It was actually the same melody , chords and progression)  Man what a big disappointment ( I am thinking to myself how did that happen?). The lyrics and inspiration are completely different but its still basically some of the same melody. This was a major punch in the gut. Without a doubt the error was mine.
Has this happened to any of you?
This would have been my 1st song posted on the songwriter 101 board. Now its back to the drawing board.

” I’m just a guy with a Guitar”
      BC Caster

BCCaster Joined Aug 29, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 13, 2017, 01:49 PM

Happens all the time to every songwriter on earth. With a billion songs a month uploaded to the Internet, probably 10-20 billion having been written throughout time, millions of artists, writers, etc. Five emotions, only 12 note configurations, it is impossible NOT to have it happen.

A majority of what we do are subconciously picked up from other things we hear, sometimes when we are very young. I have found myself having written songs that are nearly identical to something I heard when I was three or four years old. The reality is that it happens all the time. It is also one of the reasons copyright infringement lawsuits are so hard to prove and for the most part are a complete waste of time.

It is also why the only lawsuits that actually go FORWARD are when one major artist or writer sues another. A recent lawsuit was the “Led Zepplin/Spirit” “Stairway to Heaven” lawsuit. It was one that had been going on for decades. In the end the jury sided with Led Zepplin, and determined that the one bringing the lawsuit had actually copped HIS SONG from something he heard in the 50’s and that was something that was a melody from the 1700’s which was in turn a melody from the 1500’s.

Nothing new under the sun.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 13, 2017, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. What you said makes a lot of sense. BTW I really Liked ” Tables and Chairs"especially the video when you sang with 3 different personas . Thanks again for the feed back .

” I’m just a guy with a Guitar”
      BC Caster

BCCaster Joined Aug 29, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM