Digital Distribution Options

3 of 3

Sep 20, 2017, 06:48 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 20 September 2017 03:24 PM

It looks like it might be a little while before I get to dip my toe in this particular pool. I just listened to the song I was going to send to the distributor through my wife’s new Bose speaker and it sounded like complete cr*p. Not just the vocals, the whole thing. It sounded fine through headphones, earbuds and the speakers in the car, so this final check came as a bit of a blow. I was fooling myself that I could produce something at least passable with the information I’ve picked up and the Izotope mastering software. Looks like I was wrong.

Hey Gavin. I know what you mean. It was a kick in the guts the first time that happened to me. What I’ve learned is that when you are mixing, always go between speakers and headphones. If you mix entirely with headphones, you won’t get the quality of sound that you’re after.

You also might like to try fiddling with the settings of your speaker set-up. The first time I played one of my songs on my stereo I sounded like I was singing at the bottom of a very deep well. Then I realized that the stereo runs through five speakers and I only mastered for two. Duh. A flick of the knob fixed that and it sounded just fine (still amateurish, but MUCH better).

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 20, 2017, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the tips, Jenny. I thought I had that covered, but different speakers give different results.

My problem is that I think one of my songs could actually do quite well if released commercially - not because it’s brilliant, but because it has its niche, namely comedy Christmas songs. People whom I don’t know seem to like it and it has a novelty angle. I don’t want to release it unless the production is up to par. I would probably have a good shot at getting a little bit of radio play at least locally and don’t want to embarrass myself. I think I might have to contact a local studio and see if they can help me out - a hard step for a control freak like me. I have no more than a nodding acquaintance with a couple of people in the local music scene. Maybe I need to nod at them a bit more vigorously and see if they can offer advice. That’s if my excessive nodding doesn’t drive them away.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 20, 2017, 07:13 PM

You could always ask one of the producers on the Forum to take a look at it. Martin Wolfinger is excellent.

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 20, 2017, 07:31 PM

Yes, Martin knows his stuff. Maybe I’ll reach out to him. He liked another of my songs, “Gillian,” which kind of illustrates the problem. Several people have commented specifically on how good the mix is, and to me it does sound really good through headphones, yet it too sounds like cr*p through that Bose speaker. It would be nice to think it was the speaker’s fault, but it’s Bose, so I think it’s safe to say the problem is the recording, not the speaker. Besides, songs I’ve got from iTunes and Spotify sound just fine on it.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 07:12 PM

Well, I uploaded my first single for digital distribution, using the Amuse platform. We’ll see how it goes. The upload process was painless. You do it by an app on your phone. I followed their recommendation of first uploading the track and cover art to Dropbox. (I did that from my laptop). Then, with the Dropbox app installed on my phone, I just followed a few really simple steps. Assuming it’s approved, it will go live on October 7th.

I’ll report back with an update, in case anyone else is interested in using the Amuse.io service.

By the way, it’s this track: mysteriousbeings.com/portfolio/how-can-i-leave-her-behind/

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 06, 2017, 09:26 AM

Well, the deed is done. “How Can I Leave Her Behind? (If She Won’t Leave Mine)” is now available on Spotify.Here’s the link.
https://open.spotify.com/album/4uELgGFCxUA6zIS8SR772n

Or you can get there by entering “Gavin Sinclair &” or “How Can I Leave Her” in the search box.

It’s also on Apple Music and in the iTunes store. So I can say that making your stuff available through Amuse is pretty easy and they do what they say. I don’t expect to make any money at this, just doing it because it’s quite cool and fun. In case anyone is interested, I’ll let you know how clear the reports are when there is any information to actually show up in the reports.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 06, 2018, 08:09 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 06 October 2017 09:26 AM

I don’t expect to make any money at this, just doing it because it’s quite cool and fun.

I DO expect to make money. Doing this a LONG time, and don’t have another job, but plenty ‘a’ bills.

People are trained to pay doctors, lawyers——EVERYONE but musicians. And we’re part of the problem, giving the store away for nada. I don’t just mean kids wanting to get paid in ‘exposure’, and ruining it for the pros, but w/all due respect, that’s just not a professional statement or approach. If you only want to do it for fun, fun’s what you’ll get. Me, I want to—-NEED to get paid for my years, dedication and hard work. No more than anyone else trying to survive—-but SOME damn thing…

[ Edited: 06 February 2018 08:21 PM by joel fass]

‘Charlie Christian got me in a world of trouble’—-me

joel fass Joined Jun 03, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 06, 2018, 08:16 PM

Joel, I made a pact with the devil a long time ago. Do something else to make money and do the music and novels for the satisfaction and the sheer joy of it.

There’s an old saying about publishing (in which I’ve also dabbled), which could probably be applied to music also. “It’s easy enough to make a small fortune in publishing - just start with a large one.”

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 06, 2018, 08:32 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 06 February 2018 08:16 PM

Joel, I made a pact with the devil a long time ago. Do something else to make money and do the music and novels for the satisfaction and the sheer joy of it.

There’s an old saying about publishing (in which I’ve also dabbled), which could probably be applied to music also. “It’s easy enough to make a small fortune in publishing - just start with a large one.”

You and Robert Johnson.

Yeah, the biz sucks. Sorry I went off like that—-my frustration talking.

‘How do you make a million dollars in jazz?’

‘Dunno, how?’

‘You start out with FIVE million.’...

‘Charlie Christian got me in a world of trouble’—-me

joel fass Joined Jun 03, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

3 of 3