Beyond The Gates by Evans and Stokes - Hijacked by the Russians!!

2 of 2

Sep 23, 2017, 04:38 PM

Galloree.com

Set up a Galloree account

Link it to your Paypal account

Create a Galloree ‘store’

Design your merchandise

Designate the markup % you want on your merchandise (be careful…you have to do this for each product. I almost gave away everything for free by mistake).

Use their widget to embed your personalized Galloree Store into your website

Sit back and watch the dollar bills roll in

John Evans Joined Oct 01, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 24, 2017, 11:18 AM

And just how would you know about “the poor quality of these pirate and official MP3 downloads,” Brad? :)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 10:39 AM

In the cassette era ,there was a 10 cent surcharge built into each blank cassette that was paid to BMI, ASCAP, etc. that was supposed to fill in some of the blanks due to home recording. I believe there were charges built into the recording systems as well. But of course the quality diminished with each generation dub. I don’t believe there was such a surcharge ever on CD’s and of course, with today’s streaming, going to phones, etc. there is no such controls at all.

Vinyl has made a comeback but still more of a novelty than actually a valid income source. They are much more expensive to create, and therefore higher cost to the consumer, they don’t do shorter runs, so you have to order a bunch, there is a finite demand usually among collectors and audiophiles and if you have ever tried to lug around a couple of hundred pounds in Albums, limited rack and storage space, or being unable to bring them on airlines due to weight, you find them pretty difficult to manage. But everyone loves to see themselves on one of those big albums.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 11:02 AM

There was something about holding an album too, especially if you’d just bought it. It was all the senses - sound, vision, touch, smell and… well maybe not taste. And there was a feeling of ownership, you don’t get from an MP3. And the pride of having saved up to buy it. And the communal experience of listening to it and passing the cover around.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 12:22 PM

Gavin,

That is absolutely true. I loved the fact that you had to WORK to get them. Then you would hold them, read the liner notes hundreds of times, look at the pictures, (fantasies about Linda Rondstat, Stevie Nicks, Olivia Newton John, crowded my 14 year old dreams!) And in learning songs, and how it all worked, you would play a part, pick up the needle, play it again and again, learning it on guitar or writing lyrics down as you go. Helped you understand how songs were actually CONSTRUCTED. I learned as much from those records as I did when I actually began to do it professionally.

And for most people over the age of 35, all have that same feeling, and those are the people purchasing turntables, going to vintage record shops, and driving the fact that some new artists put out vinyl. Even the last remaining American Vinyl pressing plant, located here in Nashville,
has doubled it’s pressing capacity. So a lot of that is still around and like every format that are said to be “on it’s last legs” may have more life in it yet. Great.

But from the practical side, anyone UNDER 35 never had that experience. And music has become so interchangable and disposable, I would not look for it to come back. It is something many of us can enjoy, but the newer generations find archaic. But there is some funny things to come out of it for me.

About two years ago, I was writing with two hit writers, Joie Scott and Jim Peterik. Jim is a monster writer, having penned VEHICLE for Ides of March in the 60’s, almost all of 38 SPECIAL’S songs in the 70’s, all of SURVIVOR’S songs in the 80’s. And one of his songs, EYE OF THE TIGER, from the ROCKY III soundtrack is one of the hottest licensing tracks out there, being on five major commercials right now.  WE were working on a song of ours called VINYL REVIVAL. And it was about just that. The comeback of the record. We painted the picture of a bunch of kids having a party at one of their Uncle’s houses when he was out of town and they discovered this WEIRD BIG BOX AND A BUNCH OF PLASTIC DISCS, and the major party that went on when they played them. Was a really fun song and we made a great record out of it.

Then, a few months later, I was at a REAL PARTY here in town where the center piece of the living room WAS a 1960’s era HOME ENTERTAINMENT CENTER AND a ton of CLASSIC ALBUMS. There were about 50 20 somethings all there, standing around it, reading the album covers, marveling at how cool it was, but it was like Aliens discovering something of ours from the 1800’s.
EXACTLY LIKE THE SONG WE WROTE!!!!!

So I’ve had some interesting aspects in my relationship to vinyl. I can promise one thing. It would not be something the Russians or anybody could hack. They could probably print up their own, but it would cost them a ton too.

Good to hear from you,
MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 03:50 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 24 September 2017 11:18 AM

And just how would you know about “the poor quality of these pirate and official MP3 downloads,” Brad? :)

LOL

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 03:58 PM

John,

If I might offer a couple of suggestions. The thing about the modern era of music is that we are all having to REALLY connect with our listeners. So when you are organizing your songs, and particularly your merchandise, make sure it is something that your fan base REALLY wants to get. I see a lot of artists and bands that think they can just order some crap and people are going to flock to it. They don’t. One of the really bad parts of today’s music is that they are even expecting FREE MERCHANDISE. So in your ordering, make sure you have a variety and somethings you can just give away. For me personalized guitar picks are a big one because I teach songwriting and performing and giving a pick they can actually USE is a pretty cool thing. Try not to spend TOO much money, but do design some things people would really like. That YOU would really like.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 05:02 PM

Thanks MAB. Free guitar picks and vinyl records…check.

Here is the way I look at it. Now that we have music actually released it is important to have all of these things in place and we’ve worked hard to do so. Website, CD’s, Downloads, Streaming, Videos, Soundcloud clips, Twitter Account, Facebook page, Merchandise Store, etc. all COMPLETE! Now is some tweaking needed? Yes of course. For example I’ve been playing with those merch designs for two days now partly because it’s fun and also to get the prices down as much as possible.

We are careful when doing some of this stuff like the CD’s and all of the merchandise for example costs NOTHING. These partners do one off production so you don’t have to buy 50 of everything in every size to have sitting your garage. Now this means the price is a little higher, but you can play around with margins and materials to get that down a little.

But with all of that now in place we really need to focus on building relationships and hopefully fans. If someone hears a song and likes it, they can google Evans and Stokes and a bunch of stuff will come up (yes even if you weed out the Russians). Then when they click on something like our website, they have a lot of options for music, merch, or social connection.

Aside from paying CDBaby a few bucks to release our stuff and another few bucks for website hosting the only thing all of the above cost me is time. I design and update the website, merch, art, videos, etc. myself with photo and video editing software. Oh and I also play the guitar, bass, and mix everything :)

I enjoy doing all of that stuff so it’s not a chore for me.

The other good thing about all of that is that it’s all DONE. Meaning most will just require minor updating. If we make new merch, we just add it in. If we make a new song, we just embed the Soundcloud link sample. If we make a new video, we just replace the one that’s there now. So as Jenny and I continue to churn out music the website will change and expand. But all of the hard work in design is already done.

I write a lot of songs (all needing lyrics and vocals) and I guess I always just envisioned this being a process where I write and record a song, have someone put their words and voice to it (usually the wonderful Jenny Stokes), then throw it up on Spotify, iTunes, etc., advertise it on a website & social media, and see if it sticks. If not, then do another one, and another. Or a whole album. Build a catalogue so then if something does eventually stick people have this whole catalogue of your stuff to dive into…oh and they can buy a shirt too :)

I like reading your advice because you obviously have quite a bit of experience in this business so thank you for sharing because it really is appreciated. I’m not sure if the way I’m doing things here with all of this is the best way or not, but it sure has been fun!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 05:50 PM

Couldn’t agree more with you, John, about the fun aspect. I enjoy all those things too. Although most of them I don’t do nearly as well, that’s not the point. I also enjoy finding out how to do new things, which is kind of why I’m playing around with digital distribution.

Regarding the merch, I think you’re right going with the on-off production partners, especially with t-shirts and things that come in different sizes. However, don’t underestimate the cost difference. You can get printed coffee cups for under $2 each if you buy a couple of dozen.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 06:22 PM

Did you just recommend Evans and Stokes coffee cups? I love it! Maybe one day we will have our own Columbian blend….Evans, Stokes, and Juan Valdez will partner up.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 06:57 PM

You already have them available from your website. I was just pointing out the difference in price between buying them one at a time for $9.99 each and 24 at $1.91 each here: https://www.discountmugs.com/product/7102-11-oz.-traditional-personalized-ceramic-coffee-mugs/

To be honest, I’m not convinced about merchandising potential if you’re not playing live gigs. It probably won’t stop me doing it though, because it’s FUN!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2017, 07:09 PM

I have a coffee mug. I thought you meant like those coffee thermos things like I have for my Keureg. And coffee mugs are soo METAL by the way :)

Cool though I’ll check it out. Need to find somewhere that does cheaper clothing one offs.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

2 of 2