16 listens and no comments…... come on ya’ll

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 18, 2017, 05:41 PM

Michael, I’m so sorry it took me so long to respond to your mastering of my track. Things have been a bit crazy around here.

I downloaded the track (nice job!) and posted it here:
https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/if-you-only-knew-mastered-by-michael/s-dssFu

The original can be found here:
https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/if-only-you-knew-featuring-jenny-stokes

I’m going to wait to comment until other folks, who are not so close to the song, have had a chance to listen and comment.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 25, 2017, 09:19 AM

Hi Michael. I’m sorry nobody has commented, so I’ll go ahead and post what I thought. It seemed to me that your master was more mellow, while the original is brighter and clearer. Both have their good points. Since I have been working with this song for so long, it’s impossible for me to judge which is “better.” I think someone with a fresh ear might be better able to judge.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 25, 2017, 10:44 AM

Hey Gav,

Sorry it took so long to take a listen and comment, but I finally did get a round to it (or tuit).  Seems Michaels master is a little more mellow than the original.  Just my opinion, with this song Michaels master sounds better, the original was too sharp/bright and goes against the mood of the song.  Congrats Michael and Gav, best wishes,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 25, 2017, 12:10 PM

Thanks Ron. Interesting that you should say that. Michael’s master is closer to my earlier versions. I remastered it when I got Izotope Ozone Elements, basing it on a preset called “General Clarity.” I was trying to avoid a trace of “muddiness” that can creep in when you get all mellow.
It would be interesting to hear what others have to say. Since it’s Jenny’s voice, maybe we will hear straight from the horse’s mouth? (In case she takes that the wrong way, I should make clear that I am referring to a thoroughbred, the Black Beauty-Piebald hybrid that canters gracefully o’er the fields and hedgerows of SW101, musical mane flying in the wind.)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 25, 2017, 08:31 PM

Great save Gavin :)

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 26, 2017, 05:17 PM

With my master, I went for warm ambience, to preserve that “country” sound.  Yet, it is plenty loud.  It has reverb, chorus, several EQ tweaks, and 4 stage compression with a limiter.

MichaelsLyric.com

MichaelsLyric.com Joined Mar 05, 2008
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 26, 2017, 07:50 PM

Michael, would it be possible to send me the track as an MP3? I want to listen to it on my iPhone and I can’t do that with a .wav file.

I think you succeeded as far as the warm ambience is concerned.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 26, 2017, 10:11 PM

I am pretty sure that you can listen to it on Soundcloud, if you have already uploaded it, but here it is…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rl8fm79xa8mqxqi/If You Only KnewMastered.mp3?dl=0

MichaelsLyric.com

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 27, 2017, 12:01 AM

You’re right, of course. I can listen on SoundCloud on my iPhone. It didn’t occur to me because I hardly ever use the ap on my phone because of a very annoying bug that SoundCloud never gets around to fixing. It only affects files that have been updated at least once, though, so there’s no reason I can’t listen to this there. Sorry :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 28, 2017, 02:08 PM

No, it’s ok.  I made a 320 MP3.  I didn’t know that about Soundcloud.  I do not have a cell phone.

MichaelsLyric.com

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

3 of 3