a composer but not a singer

2 of 2

Apr 03, 2018, 03:19 AM

You can distribute them on Tunecore. If it gets noticed, you can make money with streaming services like Spotify and downloads like Itunes. You can also submit them to taxi.com for submitting to film and TV placement.

Roy
Music Producer
http://www.HelosBonos.XYZ

Roy Sonboleh Joined Apr 03, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 03, 2018, 05:17 AM

Well Ken the problem seems to be that many believe they have a hit song

and all they have to do is get a great recording done

That’s not quite correct , because in general learning writers are poor

judges of their own songs.

Its the old story of a mother who’s ugly baby looks wonderful to her

Even songs from experienced Pro Writers are past on ,  I have done it

many times sitting in the publishers listening chair;

Too quote a story by Garth Brooks , he hated the Demo of one of his

biggest hits but the head of A and R at his label persuaded him to record

it the rest is history as it launched his career

I am still polishing ideas that I came up with five years ago, and as I do

my own Demos I am still learning to make them better as well as singing the vocals

Its a long road , and as you say be proud of what you have done.

Peter Kristian Joined Jan 11, 2008
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 03, 2018, 06:33 PM
Roy Sonboleh - 03 April 2018 03:19 AM

You can distribute them on Tunecore. If it gets noticed, you can make money with streaming services like Spotify and downloads like Itunes. You can also submit them to taxi.com for submitting to film and TV placement.

Tunecore is one option. There are others like CD Baby, DistroKid and the one I use because it’s free and seems to work well, Amuse. All of them will get you to Spotify, iTunes and the rest.

Tony (JAPOV) was having some problems with Tunecore. I don’t know if he resolved them.
http://www.songwriter101.com/forums/viewthread/95721/

Of course, persuading anyone to listen is another matter altogether :)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 04, 2018, 09:57 AM

Well, I would NOT recommand to use one of this „self-service-stuff“ without having a fanbase. Sure, you can make it available worldwide ... ok. And then? Who is goin to buy it? Just because it‘s there does not mean anyone will care ... uh, that one rhymes…

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 04, 2018, 10:08 AM

The other part of the equation, Martin, is that it has to be available if you do manage to create a fan base. Since you can do the whole Spotify etc. thing now for very little or, in my case, no money - why not?

I’ll admit that I do it for the fun of finding out how to do all this kind of stuff and because my family and many of my friends all use Spotify. However, for someone trying to “make it,” I don’t really see what they are risking. There is next to no investment in the actual distribution.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 04, 2018, 10:57 AM

“Even songs from experienced Pro Writers are past on”

Never has a truer statement been made. EVERY SONG, EVERY ARTIST, EVERY LABEL, EVERY PUBLISHER, has had MANY MORE FAILURES than successes. The few successes have to make up for the much more common failures. And it REALLY happens to songs and songwriters.

We are currently in our week long TIN PAN SOUTH songwriter’s festival, where 300 of Nashville’s top writers all are performing in different venues to raise money for NSAI (Nashville Songwriter’s Association International) to do things like send delegations to Congress to fight for Songwriter’s rights. These are some of the biggest writers that exist, all performing “in the round” (four-five people in each one) and playing their songs and telling stories behind them.

Every single one of them have stories of the times their eventual monster hit songs were passed over. Last night, Mac Davis talked about a classic song “WATCHING SCOTTY GROW” recorded by BOBBY GOLDSBORO. That song was turned down as a hit FOR HIMSELF. His label felt it wasn’t a “Mac Davis” song, and had it cut on Goldsboro. This was after Mac had huge hits like “IN THE GHETTO” by Elvis Presley.
My friend “GARY HANNAN” talking about his number one, “TEQUILA MAKES HER CLOTHES FALL OFF” being turned down by tons of artists before Joe Nichols took it to the top of the charts.

It’s like that over and over. Songs that become LEGENDARY like “WIND BENEATH MY WINGS” and “THE GAMBLER” were passed over by labels, publishers, artists, producers. And it has always been that way. And at the same time, you hear some AMAZING songs that just blow you away and make you slap your head and say “HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT NOT A HIT?” Or some artist that just floors you, and realize that they never had a deal, had one for a short time or just never got traction in the marketplace.

That is the real story of songwriting. Disappointment and being passed over. Happens to us all.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

2 of 2