All I Want for Christmas

1 of 3

Nov 12, 2017, 02:57 PM

OK guys, I need your help.

I posted this song in the Lyrics Library last year. Since then, I’ve done a bit of work on it and am planning to stick it up on Spotify etc. just in time for Christmas. I’ve got two masters and would appreciate your input as to which sounds better.

Master Number 1 is here
https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/all-i-want-for-christmas-master-version-1/s-ku3o2

Master Number 2 is here
https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/all-i-want-for-christmas-master-version-2/s-Uoo7w

Don’t force yourself to listen to the whole thing if you don’t want to. 30 seconds or so of each should be enough for comparison.

Both of these are done using presets in Izotope Ozone Elements, The first one uses a preset called Low End Accent, so it has more bass to it. The second one uses a preset called General Clarity. It has less bass, but I played around with the EQ in an attempt to add a little warmth to the vocals.

Any help much appreciated.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 12, 2017, 06:02 PM

Hey Gavin can you post the lyrics have a few suggestions, on hearing im thinking “fat-###” should be change to “big-###” you might get a slap on the face but at lease it wont be a punch on the nose lol, also i like the talking part and the old faithful dog but at 4.41 im waiting to long to hear that part, great potential here reminds me of that Christmas song “grandma got run over by a reindeer”

So far so good but dont go live with this just yet lol.

Patrick F Joined Mar 03, 2013
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 12, 2017, 06:13 PM

I think the music is more balanced in the second version, but your voice is clearer in
the first.

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 12, 2017, 10:09 PM
Patrick F - 12 November 2017 06:02 PM

Hey Gavin can you post the lyrics have a few suggestions, on hearing im thinking “fat-###” should be change to “big-###” you might get a slap on the face but at lease it wont be a punch on the nose lol, also i like the talking part and the old faithful dog but at 4.41 im waiting to long to hear that part, great potential here reminds me of that Christmas song “grandma got run over by a reindeer”

So far so good but dont go live with this just yet lol.

Hey Patrick, here are the lyrics. I probably can’t make too many changes at the moment if I’m to get this up for Christmas, but I might well do a revised version later. I’d like to have kiddies singing along to the chorus in the best Christmas tradition.

Not sure about your suggestion to replace “fat a$$” with “big a$$.” “Fat a$$” is more of a phrase you might actually hear. The words kind of go together.

CHORUS 1
All I want for Christmas is your fat a$$ to be gone
I’ll drive you to your momma’s, take your number off my phone
And all I want to see underneath the Christmas tree
Is a bottle of Johnny Walker Black that I bought just for me

VERSE 1
Outside the door the carollers
Are singing Silent Night
But we don’t have too may of those
‘Cause all we do is fight
‘Tis the season of peace and love
And I’d love some peace but, Lord above,
You won’t shut up ‘bout how you’ve had enough
Of me, but you’re still here

CHORUS 2
And all I want to see underneath the Christmas tree
Is a bottle of Johnny Walker Black that I bought just for me

VERSE 2
When you’re gone, I’ll get out that old sweater
You thought I’d thrown away
And I got a date with those pants you hate
And we’re going out to play
My friends will all be glad to see me
I’ll watch what I want on the TV
And it won’t suck so much to be me
Because you’re gone
CHORUS 3
But what is this I see, underneath the Christmas tree
It’s an envelope with a note you wrote
And it’s addressed to me

VERSE 3
“Merry Christmas, baby, my a$$ is gone
Thanks for the present of that big old truck you’re still making payments on
I found the money you hid in your hat
I took your dog, but I left my cat
To remind you of me, wherever I’m at.
Enjoy being on your own.

SPOKEN VERSE 4
Well, I really miss my dog, and that cat sure is mean.
I don’t miss you though, Baby.
I haven’t made any payments on that truck for six months and the transmission’s about to go, and there sure wasn’t enough money in that hat of mine to pay for a new one.
So, Merry Christmas to you too, Baby!

CHORUS 4
It’s a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
I’m so happy on my own now your ### is out of here
And who is this I see
Beside the Christmas tree
That old dog saw sense and jumped the fence
And came running back to me.

Merry Christmas, boy!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 12, 2017, 10:14 PM
JAPOV - 12 November 2017 06:13 PM

I think the music is more balanced in the second version, but your voice is clearer in
the first.

Thanks Tony. I’m not sure where that leaves me :). Actually, my wife was kind of the same in that she liked the brighter guitar better in version 2, but the greater resonance in the voice better in version 1.

As for me - I’ve listened too many times today and, naturally enough, now pretty much hate them both!

What do you mean by “more balanced?”

[ Edited: 12 November 2017 10:58 PM by Gavin Sinclair]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 11:15 AM

Not to ‘bassy’, not too ‘bright’, just right! Try re-recording your vox with the second version…..

“but I played around with the EQ in an attempt to add a little warmth to the vocals”

Or, undo what you did to the vox track :)

I’m not familiar with ‘ozone’ presets, do you still have individual Eq’s for each instrument?

[ Edited: 13 November 2017 11:28 AM by JAPOV]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 12:02 PM

Hi Tony. You read my mind. I was just about to post a third version, which is version 2 without the added “warmth.” Here it is…
https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/all-i-want-for-christmas-master-version-3/s-MpIS7

Yes, I have individual EQs for each instrument. The presets are used at the mastering stage. Ozone is a mastering plug-in. I can apply EQ to any individual track during mixing before that stage.

By the way, I appreciate your help and feedback. There are only a few folks here who take the time to help other members rather than just posting their own stuff and expecting people to respond to them without offering anything in return. We could do with a few more JAPOVs around here. And no, that is not an invitation for you to create another of your infamous alter egos :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 12:34 PM

Hmmm…... really can’t tell much of a difference…. Try this

-Keep the “clarity’ preset on the master track, I think that’s sounding really good!
-On the drum track, boost your low end around 150-200, I can barely hear the bass
drum
-Vox, can you create an Eq shelf from 4k to 18k and boost that about 2-3Db?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 01:17 PM

I’ll try that Tony. What is the vox boost at those frequencies supposed to do?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 01:29 PM

It should make the vox track just as bright as the rest of the mix. Now, don’t be
afraid of ‘bright’....... To me, compared to the rest of the mix, the vox track is a
little dull. That’s the problem with vocals, you can always hear yourself clear as
day :)

Oh, and once you ‘brighten’ them up a little, you may actually need to pull back
the volume a smidge :)

[ Edited: 13 November 2017 01:33 PM by JAPOV]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 03:57 PM

OK, version 4 :)
https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/all-i-want-for-christmas-master-version-4/s-7Eeq6

I boosted the bass drum frequencies you suggested by about 3 dB. The equalizer I use only has 4 bands and I’d used 3 of them, so I boosted the vox at 4K by 5 dB and then set a low pass filter at 29K with a gentle Q slope. The effect was “plateau-like.”

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 04:17 PM

OK, I just pulled up V2 and V4 next to each other in separate tabs and in my opinion
V4 is definitely better! Vox sound great! Still not getting a clear bass drum but that may
be because of that thick bass guitar… matter of style really. What do YOU think? :)

29k? That’s dog whistle territory :)

[ Edited: 13 November 2017 04:26 PM by JAPOV]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 04:26 PM

Thanks Tony. I was deliberately not saying what I think in order not to influence the throngs of people rushing to help. The rush seems to have died down now, so I’ll tell you. I agree, version 4 seems to be the best. I uploaded it to Soundcloud before I saw the edit to your comment, so I might tweak down the vocals by about half a Db, like you suggest. Then, after a break to get them all out of my head, I’m going to give them all one more listen and choose one to release. It will probably be version 4.

Thanks for working with me on this, Tony. I’m quite fond of this song in a weird way, so it was important to get it as good as I could.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 04:32 PM

Any time :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 09:19 PM

Definitely version 4 Gav, Kudos.  Good luck and best wishes,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 13, 2017, 11:47 PM

Thanks Deac. That;s the one I went with.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 3