SW101 Spotify Playlist

1 of 2

Nov 17, 2017, 10:57 AM

I’m just beginning to come to terms with how Spotify works (need to get an in-depth tutorial from my daughter), as well as making a few of my songs available there. I thought it might be fun to make an SW101 playlist. If anybody here has music on Spotify, let me know and I’ll look at adding it to the playlist. It’ll be my playlist, so I’ll need to like it of course :)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 17, 2017, 04:02 PM

Ok, I’ll bite….. Tell us Gavin, why do you like ‘Spotify’?

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 17, 2017, 04:28 PM

No reason really, except that it’s where most people seem to get their music these days.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 17, 2017, 04:44 PM

Really? I don’t know anything at all about Spotify….. The last CD I bought was Tool’s
10,000 Days. Does Spotify allow you to shop unsigned/Indie music? Who controls the
pricing? Is there a maintenance/membership fee?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 17, 2017, 05:00 PM

Well, you can’t get much more unsigned or indie than me. Jen and John are on there too. I know Bernd is.

It’s a subscription service. You sign up and you can listen to anything that’s there. More like a library than a store. The free service pretty much limits you to what they play for you, kind of like listening to the radio. The premium service for $9.99 a month lets you create your own playlists or just search for songs or albums and play them. My wife added me to the family membership she already had for her and the girls, which covers up to 6 people for for $14.99 a month.

The way the artists get paid is pretty complicated, but if you are the performer and hold the rights to everything, you can make a little money apparently. I’m really just doing it for the fun of finding out how it works and because most of my family and friends listen to Spotify rather than anything else.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 17, 2017, 05:12 PM

“$9.99 a month” Yea, that would be the reason I don’t know anything about it lol.
That would cut into my Netflix budget…. Good luck though :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 17, 2017, 05:26 PM

Me too. I only have it because it was basically free for me. The kids seem to use it a lot though.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 22, 2017, 08:41 AM

Spotify… a good swedish, european company. But I´ve never used it until now. I use Apple music :).

@Tony: Spotify/Apple music is something like .. Netflix for music. It´s all about streaming these days.

I have to admit, I use all of this stuff :(. Netflix, DAZN and Apple Music. Overall it´s 25 Euro per month :(. Therefore I got rid of cable tv.. and stuff like this.

@Gavin: If you like the streaming stuff I would recommand you to get yourself a tool called “Anker Soundcore”.
Thats a mini Bluetooth-Mobile-Speaker. I´ve linked my IPhone with it…. the quality is brilliant. I just press “Play” on my Iphone and it sounds like a good sound System…. check it out. Black Friday is close :)

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 29, 2017, 06:47 AM

What is Black Friday?

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 29, 2017, 07:02 AM
Jenny Stokes - 29 November 2017 06:47 AM

What is Black Friday?

In the US it´s the day after Thanksgiving and beginning of the christmas shopping season. Many stores (most of the online store) offer high percentage on sales…

In Europe/Austria there is no Thanksgiving/no Black Friday. We call it “Sommerschlussverkauf” :).

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 29, 2017, 09:18 AM

Happy Sommerschlussverkauf!

Black Friday has been THE day when many companies make their profit for the year. They either had a modest profit all year up to then, or were in the red (ink in the ledgers to indicate losses). Then American shoppers come out en masse, buying hundreds of dollars of merchandise per household. Some households, thousands. This ‘spending’ brings company earnings out of the red and into the black (ink to indicate profit). I seem to recall a statistic of companies doing one-third of their annual sales on Black Friday.

But Black Friday is also joined now by Cyber-Monday (after Thanksgiving weekend) when shoppers go online for the same purpose. In recent years when the economy was good the retailers found both days were not as profitable as they hoped. Cyber-buying took some of Black Friday, and anytime-cyber commerce spread it over the days and 24-hours a day.

I speculate that in good times people spend year round so these annual ‘occasions’ to shop were less used.

In hard times there is less deer-hunting, officially. I noted one year when the economy was very recessed that hunters reported they took one third as many deer in Ohio as the year before. I speculate that’s because in hard times people shoot deer out of season and without the requisite license to keep food in the larder. Public behavior is hard to predict. But in a good economy the people spend their money.

They’ll be talking about the red/black earnings on the news. If I hear anything on it I’ll revisit this thread for those in New Z., Austria, and Alamagordo. (Nobody tells Alamagordo anything.)

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 29, 2017, 02:23 PM

Well THAT sounds like a mad house. I don’t like shopping at the best of times. I think I’d just go without rather than fence with what sounds like complete and utter madness on Black Friday. Thanks Martin and Gary. Feeling more informed.  :)

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 29, 2017, 09:39 PM

Oh Black Friday is a real hoot Jen, kind of reminds one of the “Running of the Bulls”, only it happens at the big box stores, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, ect.  The stores advertise phenomenally low prices on big ticket items, people camp out at the doors for days to be the first in, the doors open, there is a big rush, some people get trampled, many fights break out, and the shoppers find only a few of the advertised items on hand to be sold.  What a great way to kick off the holiday shopping season, lol.  Cyber Monday is more peaceful, the worst that can happen is getting your accounts hacked while shopping on line, or through the apps on your smart phone, peace on earth.  Best wishes, and Happy Holidays,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 04, 2017, 04:09 AM
Deacon - 29 November 2017 09:39 PM

Oh Black Friday is a real hoot Jen, kind of reminds one of the “Running of the Bulls”, only it happens at the big box stores, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, ect.  The stores advertise phenomenally low prices on big ticket items, people camp out at the doors for days to be the first in, the doors open, there is a big rush, some people get trampled, many fights break out, and the shoppers find only a few of the advertised items on hand to be sold…..

Just imagine what would happen, If we ever run out of food .. and there´s one store left with supplies ...

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 07, 2017, 11:16 PM

how about a Spotify station featuring SW101 artists. a giant umbrella to post our finished mixes under?

or a soundcloud page even?

or Both! :D

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 08, 2017, 11:57 AM

Brad, I had to look this up, but it seems a Spotify station is something automatically generated for you by Spotify on the basis of songs you play. A playlist was what I was suggesting. You can select your songs and add them to a playlist, rather than letting Spotify decide what it thinks you would want to hear. In fact, I went ahead and created the playlist. So far it only has two songs, both of them mine. This is because, nobody responded to my original post. You can see it at this link:

https://open.spotify.com/user/augustusgump/playlist/1wqBx9YUqCjk5YMUSaUMCA?si=XuO1tjWcTbCkZiSKx2MDXw 

If anyone has songs on Spotify they want me to add to it, just let me know. And, if you have Spotify, feel free to follow it.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2