HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Nov 22, 2017, 03:12 PM

Wanted to wish you all a HAPPY THANKSGIVING and hope you have had a great year. I’m always around if you need me and hope you get everything you want in your future. Keep writing and try very hard not to suck!

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 28, 2017, 08:11 AM

Hello MAB,

Maybe a little late but Thank You and same back at you, LOL.  Guess all the turkey and fixins had me in a funk for the past several day and I hadn’t noticed your post till now.  Thank you also for your help and suggestions over the past few years and for your offer in the future.  I particularly like your advice, “try hard not to suck”, sage but true advice, and not so hard to do by anyone serious about their songwriting.  Best wishes,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 28, 2017, 09:37 AM

Thank you Deacon, and back at you.

While I love that quote and actually use it a lot, it is not mine. It is Billy Joel’s. He was doing an interview with Barbara Walters for an ABC 20/20 several years ago and she asked him, (Bad Barbara Walters impression here:)

“You awe one of the most infwuencial awtists of the 20th century. Thewe awe many potential awtists out thewe watching this pwogwam. What advice would you give them?”

Billy was very slow and deliberate, looked at the camera and said “TRY VERY HARD… NOT TO SUCK.”

I’ve always took that advice to heart and try every day not to suck.

Have a good holiday season. Good to hear from you.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 29, 2017, 06:53 AM

Oh dear. I think I just peed myself. lol
That imitation of Barbara Walters is priceless, Marc. So funny. I’ve got the giggles.
Back attcha MAB. Happy Thanksgiving (late). I’m thankful for music, for laughter, for you and your advice and for this fabulous community of awesome people.
Jen

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 30, 2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks Jenny, glad you found me amusing. You should see me actually do it, it is pretty funny. Hope your world is well deown undah! Did I ever tell you about the song I wrote with a guy from CAIRNS? it is called “MADE IN AUSTRALIA” and we wrote and recorded it in the style of AC/DC. The FREAKING HARDEST THING I’VE EVER SUNG IN MY LIFE!!! Could only do it once. I don’t know how Brian Johnson and Bon Scott, ever did that! But the song is pretty cool and gets some airplay over there. Funny the things I get to do.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 30, 2017, 04:40 PM

Yes. I do know the song. It’s great. I am surprised to hear that you struggled with singing it though. It certainly doesn’t come across that way. Plus, I know you’re a crack shot at impressions…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns905FmVxPQ

What a card. You are so entertaining my friend.

- Bob Marley

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 30, 2017, 04:45 PM

I did a short stint at stand up comedy. The WORST THING I EVER DID IN MY LIFE! You’ve never lived until you are hearing the chirping of crickets for five minutes while you are trying to be funny. The WORST FEELING in the world! Impressions helped me get through some of that. But it has helped me practically when I did demos. Being able to mimic a lot of voices, when people are catering their pitches, helped me get work. Anything to keep going.
And of course, being able to write in multiple STYLES helps a lot in the things I teach. Have written a lot of different songs. Will always ask “If you could write a song for anybody, living or dead, who would it be? Has been a lot of fun. Written songs for ELVIS, the TEMPTATIONS, RAY CHARLES, THE BEATLES, etc. All in the styles of those people. Never a dull moment.
MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 01, 2017, 05:20 AM

Ah man. That sounds awful. There’s definitely a type-cast personality that can do stand up comedy and I ain’t she! What possessed you to try stand-up, Marc? A momentary lapse of reason perhaps? I definitely embrace the comedy in life, but for me, the idea being funny on demand would just do my head in. It would be like choosing Hell on earth.

I’m a huge fan of Anthony Vincent and Ken Tamplin who can do amazing improvisations. I couldn’t agree with you more about the value of versatility. It’s something that I’ve been working on over the past year…just trying to extend my voice beyond my natural blues voice. For me, it feels like the right road to take.

- Bob Marley

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 01, 2017, 08:37 AM

Ah Jenny,

The stories I could tell you. Basically, it was WOMEN!!! No, I was seduced… by the DAAAKKK SIDE!!! EGO!!!

About a hundred years ago, back in 1984-87, in my home town of Birmingham, Alabama, and in other towns in the southeast, my band, 24 KARAT. were sort of celebrities. We were hot in our Southeastern circuit, Alabama,Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana. We played colleges, opened concerts for major artists of the day and in 84’ we were involved in and eventually won this Nationwide Talent contest sponsored by Miller Beer and MCA records. Out of around 30,000 bands and we were flown to LA, played a live show and won.
As a result, we did a lot of television, radio, etc. Around the country and our regular gigs shot through the roof.

At all these things, I was….shall we say…. popular on my own with the ladies. And everywhere I’d go, they’d be buying me drinks, get me to parties, etc. At all that time I ALWAYS had to be the “life of the party” and play acoustically at all these different things, so I sort of developed me own celebrity status. I’d show up and people would always expect me to play, so I always had a guitar with me. I’m left handed so I had to have my own.

Well, as I did that I developed impressions like ” John Belushi doing Joe Cocker” on Saturday night live, and other ones. One of my friends at that time, opened the top comedy club in town, and bugged me about performing a set. I really didn’t think about it for a while because I did’t want to take away from the band. It was just a party thing I was doing, with some semi funny stuff as well as some pretty off color (late night songs that I’d written. But as always, my ego got the best of me and I booked an opening slot at the comedy club. By this time the band was on a hiatus (eventually to break up) and I had the time.
I actually wrote some comedy material that I thought was pretty good and DIDN’T do the impressions or the funny songs. Straight stand up.

TERRIBLE IDEA!!!!

I was on in front a packed house, a lot of my friends in the house and I BOMBED HUGE!!!! My material was NOT funny and I knew it from the first second I was onstage! It was horrible!!!! And the pain on my friend’s faces showed it. The owner came over after and had this funny look on his face and said “You need to get more laughs into the act.” DUH!!!!!!
It was terrible! And I learned that I wasn’t invunerable.

But interestingly enough, I continued doing comedy songs and impressions, and later on, that is exactly what led to opening all the doors for me in Nashville. One song, “THE GRAND OPENING”, a song about a guy’s zipper being open onstage, was the one that led to my first cut. I still do it. Now I use humor in “real” songs, and it is a great device to get people’s attention. Great door opener for those loud, rowdy crowds.

All in all it worked out. But stand up was definately my Achillies heel. Got to know your limitations.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 01, 2017, 04:01 PM

Sounds like a lesson learned…

Women + Ego = DISASTER
Humour - Guitar = “TERRIBLE IDEA”
Guitar + Humour = SUCCESS