Not video’s but…

Dec 05, 2017, 01:44 PM

...if you care to give a listen to what Lorraine and I have up these days;

https://soundcloud.com/user-145911756

Last Cowboy, the idea and the music came out about a month ago and I knew there was some ‘there’ there. After pondering it for a couple weeks, I made myself sit down and write the thing. POWERFUL emotional 15 minutes or so as it just poured out. A couple refinements over the following days and pretty much done.

I had it as a sad, lonely, gravely guy singing it, smokey bar. My crappy voice. So, my oldest daughter was in town for thanksgiving and she had some time. I sang and played verse one to give her what I had in mind. She glanced at the lyrics and I hit record and BAM. THAT’S the styling she just came up with, on the fly. Took maybe 2 hours, a couple of breaks, hammered out what we wanted to do to evolve the thing around her take and then what you hear was ONE take. Couple flubs she’s not happy with but, hey, come visit pops again and we’ll fix ‘em!!

Jolene is Lorraine.

Hell or High Water is Lorraine and maybe our favorite to play.

24/7, Lorraine, I’d written the thing 6 months ago and it just sat there. LOVE playing it, just no theme yet!! She had an idea or two to kinda keep it going but, nothing. Then, I guess it’s two months now, it came together in a half hour or so. We do a killer version with a nice drum beat. Another fun one to play.

Any ways, THANKS for listening and if you have any comments!

[ Edited: 05 December 2017 01:46 PM by Larry Gude]

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 06, 2017, 11:25 AM

Ok, people. I’m getting a complex, here! 14 views and no one has said a word?

Is it SO good no one dare comment?  LOL

Is it SO bad no one need bother to comment?

Is it just ‘meh’?

PLEASE, any and all comments are welcome, negative, positive, even if you’re ‘meh’, that’s SOMETHING!!!

In cyberspace, no one can hear your artists insecurities….  LOL

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 06, 2017, 11:16 PM

I like “Last Cowboy”! You are truly blessed to have so much music in the house my
friend! Happy holidays and merry Christmas :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 07, 2017, 06:44 AM
JAPOV - 06 December 2017 11:16 PM

I like “Last Cowboy”! You are truly blessed to have so much music in the house my
friend! Happy holidays and merry Christmas :)

Same to you, dude! Thanks for giving a listen.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 07, 2017, 11:25 AM

Larry, at 4:41 it is too long. If there is a story accumulating line-to-line, Verse-to-Verse, summed up concisely in a Chorus, THE Hook, or a Bridge, a Song might go on that long, keeping listeners listening to see where the story might go. The Singer-Character seems to be a Third-Person Narrator, not a First-Person participating character ‘in’ a story.

This seems to be a philosophical style Lyric. Line after line (those I can understand) makes philosophical observations about “The Last Cowboy”, a phrase I don’t recall hearing in two listens. I would expect to hear the title repeated prominently, THE Hook. I don’t hear imagery I can visualize. Of what I can understand I hear concepts, abstract ideas I might ponder if I was getting the whole Lyric. That made me tune out on the first listen. When it ended I realized I’d quit listening sometime earlier. I’d come ‘unhooked’.

I’m not getting all the words. It’s difficult to convey word meanings and sing notes at the same time. But that’s what singers have to do, keep the word-meanings while hitting notes like an instrument. The number of words and lines I miss in enunciation (perhaps the limitations of my computer/my hearing) prevent the ones I do understand from benefiting from the cumulative effect of the ‘story’.

It just played a third time, having run the cycle of Songs on your Soundcloud, “Jolene”, etc. It just doesn’t get in my head with the combination of Lyric and Melody.

Enunciate. Find THE Hook and drive it home. Simplify to get it off 4:41 and closer to 3:30.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 07, 2017, 11:43 AM
Gary E. Andrews - 07 December 2017 11:25 AM

Larry, at 4:41 it is too long. If there is a story accumulating line-to-line, Verse-to-Verse, summed up concisely in a Chorus, THE Hook, or a Bridge, a Song might go on that long, keeping listeners listening to see where the story might go. The Singer-Character seems to be a Third-Person Narrator, not a First-Person participating character ‘in’ a story.

Agreed. We debated length and our goal was to get it done and then let it simmer for awhile. Also, the original concept was story as told by a last cowboy. It became 3rd party narrator, a mom, a wife, a sister or, in this case, a daughter narrating it. We’re not sure what’s best. You think it would be better as first person???

This seems to be a philosophical style Lyric. Line after line (those I can understand) makes philosophical observations about “The Last Cowboy”, a phrase I don’t recall hearing in two listens. I would expect to hear the title repeated prominently, THE Hook. I don’t hear imagery I can visualize. Of what I can understand I hear concepts, abstract ideas I might ponder if I was getting the whole Lyric. That made me tune out on the first listen. When it ended I realized I’d quit listening sometime earlier. I’d come ‘unhooked’.

“...last cowboy…’ appears as a line in the chorus I think 4 times. Obviously, it didn’t make much of an impact! It does not show up until late in the song. We gotta fix that.

I’m not getting all the words. It’s difficult to convey word meanings and sing notes at the same time. But that’s what singers have to do, keep the word-meanings while hitting notes like an instrument. The number of words and lines I miss in enunciation (perhaps the limitations of my computer/my hearing) prevent the ones I do understand from benefiting from the cumulative effect of the ‘story’.

It just played a third time, having run the cycle of Songs on your Soundcloud, “Jolene”, etc. It just doesn’t get in my head with the combination of Lyric and Melody.

Enunciate. Find THE Hook and drive it home. Simplify to get it off 4:41 and closer to 3:30.

Thanks for your time, Gary! Truly appreciate the critique. Back to the drawing board!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM