EL MABBO IN DA HOUZE!!!!

1 of 4

Dec 05, 2017, 02:27 PM

Hey folks,

MAB here. During the holidays, everything in Nashville slows down a bit, so I’m always a bit more able to help people out if needed. If anyone has any questions about songwriting, performing, networking or the business side of things, drop a line, if you have something going on in your musical journey you are unsure of, need some help on, or just want some feedback, on, feel free to let me know. I don’t know it all, but have been through most of what you go through or know someone who has been through it, so can try to point you in the right direction.

I don’t exactly do SONG CRITIQUES here, but am happy to visit sites to give a listen to some of your music if you contact me, here or privately.
Can give you a quick overview if you like. For all you newcomers, good to have you here, drop by different people’s sites and look around. Develop relationships, talk privately to people, build some co-writing if possible. You have a variety of people, at a variety of levels and experience who are happy to give you some perspective.

I believe in the dreamer and the dream so I’m here for you if you need. If not, that is cool too. Keep at it, keep writing and try not to suck.
“That’s a Billy Joel quote, not mine.”

MAB
(MARC-ALAN BARNETTE. RHYMES WITH “CAB”)

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 02:53 PM

Yo, Yo, Yo… My main man MABBO!! Houz’it hangin’ hood’lum!?! :)

So, what’s your take on kneeling in the NFL?

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 03:29 PM

OH GOD!!! WHY YOU GOT TO GO THERE?

I HATE talking this stuff. But because it’s you Tony, I will just a little. Since I’ve sort of been affected by this personally, I can tell you how I feel. Just my opinion.

One thing I ALWAYS have hated is the displays of political stuff from ANYBODY that is outside of what I go to them for. Hollywood actors, athletes, musicians, etc. I HATE it when they go into their political or personal stuff. I REALLY DON’T CARE. I hate when idols of mine, go into their personal business. I hate paying tons of money to hear music, see a movie or theater play, and have to endure diatribes on one issue or another. I HATE the whole “got to be argumentative and in your face” world of Facebook and social media. It has divided us as a country and frankly I liked a lot of people MORE when I didn’t have to listen to their opinions on EVERYTHING!

I’m a very conservative guy, but I have always kept that pretty much to myself. Honestly, I think people don’t NEED or CARE for my opinion on anything other than what they are interested me in. What I do musically, what information I can give them on the subject they ask for. So I just don’t get into it. I don’t do politically or issue oriented songs (unless it is something about a positive aspect of a tough situation, or someone is pushing me to TEACH them some way to approach a subject. etc.)
But I’m surrounded by liberals who want to shove everything in my face. And just to be fair, I’ve got plenty of conservative friends who do the same and I avoid THEM TOO. I just avoid getting into anything because it does nothing to change minds or create anything but negative feelings. I’ve avoided parties, social events, things that get stupid fast. Just not my deal.

The NFL started this thing last year through Colin Kapernick and it bothered me, but I dealt with it. Let them do what they do. And they did. He got himself out of a job (when he was on the downside of his career anyway) and nobody would hire him. This year it has been insane and all it has done is taken over the conversation. I don’t think these people even know what they are protesting about. But they have every right to do it. I have every right to tune them out. Which I’ve done. It’s easier for me, because for the past 20 or 25 years on Saturday’s and Sunday’s I generally have been doing workshops, private lessons, or travelings. So I miss almost all of it anyway.

This year, at one of the first TENNESSEE TITANS games, Megan Linsley, a girl I’ve worked with who was first runner up on THE VOICE, and her boyfriend, both “took a knee” after they sang the National Anthem on National television. It went viral and caused her all kinds of grief and basically ended her career here. She was deluged with hate emails and social stuff, and it involved her co-writer and mentor Julie Moriva, who I am very close with. And of course, I get dozens of emails, Texts and people contacting me asking “WHAT THE HELL IS SHE THINKING!!!” So I’ve stayed completely out of all of it. But I have not had any contact with her at all. Just not getting into it.

My patience will be tested Monday when she comes to dinner. I’ve asked them to avoid all political conversation.

I know that is one of my “MAB explanations” that you hate. But you asked. That covers it for me. And I’m not going to get into any lengthy discussions on it. I generally HATE all of this, but people are going to do it. And the fans have a right to tell them to kiss off. But suffice it to say, you won’t see me taking much of a knee anywhere.

Not as much for my political opinions, but I’m so damn old, it’s harder to get up now.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 03:47 PM

“I don’t think these people even know what they are protesting about…”

Yea, I’m not going to try and re-invent the wheel with you here either Marc lol…
but that does pretty much sum it up! It’s hard to avoid politics since political correctness
has now made EVERYTHING political!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 05:13 PM

EL MABBO - SIR JAPOV,

How wonderful to see you both.  POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, POLITICS, POLITICIANS, argh….. Ba Humbug.  One of the first songs I posted on SW101 shortly after joining was titled “Election Day”, and that song embodied my opinion of politicians and politics.  Here’s little dity (not Jack and Diane) that came to mind as I was reading this post:

Excuse my lack of scruples,
I’ll agree or disagree.
So long as you’ve got money,
is what matters most to me.

I’ll support your lofty cause,
and though it may sound crass.
For a large and hefty sum,
I’ll even kiss your a$$.

Just sayin ;)

Problem is, too many don’t know the sacrifice of those who came before them so they could protest about what they don’t know what they are protesting about, and a heck of a lot of it is backed by politicians looking to beef up their party base, T’s me off.  Nuff said:)  Time to hit the egg nog n rum, hey it’s five o clock somewhere!!!

Best wishes to you both,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 05:27 PM

Ha! I got ‘nogged out’ last weekend…. watch that 151 my friend! :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 08:24 PM

Just like clockwork….

The SECOND I said things were slowing down, I had forgotten I had an interview scheduled for an Internet podcast show. They just left. Guy I knew growing up and a pretty hot girl with him, so it was a very pleasant few hours.

On this subject, it is not just POLITICS that bother me. I don’t like getting so much into people’s personal lives, especially on Facebook and Twitter. I don’t really care what they had to eat today, or if they bruised a toe. I don’t really want to “pray for them” when a distant relative has gotten into trouble on a house they can’t afford, and they feel they know me enough to ask for money. Especially when I don’t even know THEM, much less their relative. How I end up with 5000 “Facebook Friends” that are people I have never heard of, never “friended”, only have a cartoon as a profile picture, or being contacted by someone who has been dead for forty years. I’m so glad me and Jimi Hendrix are so close now.

The politics are only one thing I could care less about. Actually about 75% of the internet are things I could CARE LESS ABOUT!

But Japov, you are correct. politics seems to worm its way into every nook and cranny.

The other thing writers and artists do are writing “issue oriented songs” when seem to think they are the ONLY ones who are thinking about it. The people who think they are “raising awareness” on an issue that ALREADY HAS PLENTY OF AWARENESS!” It would be one thing if they were well written, make an interesting point in a way we haven’t heard before. But they always seem to be PREDICATABLE, sophomoric, and absolutely the SAME thing we’ve heard a BILLION TIMES BEFORE!
Or the people who write songs with a “shelf expiration” date on it. They don’t seem to understand that there is a 24 hour news cycle involved and usually by the time they actually play or record these shining jewels of nothingness, the world has actually moved on to four or five other major stories.

But they are all things writers and artists find out pretty quickly. Usually it is after they ruin their reputations.
Everyone has the right to say whatever they want. Nobody has the right to have people listen.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 08:36 PM

Whoa?????

And I always thought it was the extra pinch of nutmeg, go figure - who knew:)  One of my favorite aunts was a rum ball fanatic, I honestly believe she began soaking the rum balls, ( and the fruit cake) for the next Christmas in late January.  The first time I was allowed to try one, just a single bite sent my head spinning.  My first reaction was to throw it in the fireplace, it took the fire department three days to knock down the flames.  Somehow out of that experience I developed a fond taste for rum, imagine my delight the first time I tasted rum spiked egg nog, happy happy joy joy.  Sooooo…I continue to keep a tradition started many years ago alive by gorging myself on rum balls and rum spiked egg nog from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  Best wishes,

Speak soon

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 09:49 PM

From Thanksgiving to Christmass!! You better stay away from open flame yourself there buddy lol :)

“Everyone has the right to say whatever they want. Nobody has the right to have people listen….”
Here’s a challenge for you Marc… Name one thing in main stream media today that ISN’T
politically slanted or labeled…...

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 10:07 PM

Japov,

I can’t. Nor do I even care to try. They are ALL slanted. That’s why I try to stay away from commenting on them. Nothing I can do and nobody is going to be convinced by anything I say. That’s why I try to keep it on music.

“happy happy joy joy” Gotta love anybody that can quote Ren and Stempy!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 10:59 PM

Don’t you see my point though Marc? Even if you do your best to stay out of politics
people will still draw their conclusions about you. Everyone has to be categorized and
labeled because, now, everybody HAS a category and label… it’s politically correct.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 05, 2017, 11:40 PM

Japov,

Making a point is never one of your strong suits. As usual, no matter how hard I try to explain something, you never get it. But that is fine, you always TRY to make points, even though you never succeed, but you do try. Yes, people do get into politics. Bothers, me. I actually started out saying that. I also said, THAT IS WHY I DON’T GET INTO IT and avoid it in my life. I stick to “guess what…” MUSIC. That is the POINT of this entire thread, which by the way I STARTED. But you can as you like to, push things totally off subject. Fine. I’ve gone with it enough .

NEXT.
MAB

Good try, but fail. As usual.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 06, 2017, 12:25 AM
JAPOV - 05 December 2017 03:47 PM

“I don’t think these people even know what they are protesting about…”

Yea, I’m not going to try and re-invent the wheel with you here either Marc lol…
but that does pretty much sum it up! It’s hard to avoid politics since political correctness
has now made EVERYTHING political!

Ummmm…......... Yea, you know what? You’re absolutely right! You called folks over
to talk about music. I’m sorry Marc…......

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 06, 2017, 09:42 AM

No problem. Thanks for your participation. If you have some music questions or thoughts, please contribute. And any tips you feel you can pass along through your experience to new people coming on board. That’s why I started this.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 06, 2017, 11:40 AM

WOW MAB,

Thought I was the only one that remembered Ren & Stempy, ya got love em though LOL.  I learned a very good lesson when I penned “Election Day”, at the time many people were upset with the OBAMA RAMA show featuring the Big O.  After I had listened to countless news casts, grumbling friends, and four out of the five voices in my head, I jotted down the lyrics and put a melody to it.  Problem was this made it a very dated, in characters, theme, and political climate.  It was fun doing it, got a lot of laughs, but from a practical business stand point it wasn’t worth squat, and it didn’t change a thing.  As a writer, it was a stress relief and I would probably do it again just for that reason, but I would not pursue actively trying to market it.  My advice to writers with aspirations of marketing politically oriented songs would be to consider the effort vs. rewards.  If you write it to get it off your chest, great, enjoy, but it’s not likely going to be marketable.

By the way MAB, I like this thread, lets keep it going, Best wishes,

@ JAPOV, you betcha, I stay away from open flames, smoke filled bars, and dragons!

Speak soon

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 06, 2017, 01:41 PM

Hey Decon,

Steeeeemmmmppppyyyyy!!!!! LOL! What a GROSS CARTOON!!! I used to have to wait till my daughter took her nap till I could watch that crazy thing!

“Issue oriented songs” are the hardest to make work for two reasons.
#1. We all see and relate the same things in the news,  the Internet, papers, television, every day. And most creative people feel very similar to them, and feel they HAVE to write about it. Mostly to RAISE AWARENESS. Unfortunately, every OTHER songwriter is TRYING TO RAISE AWARENESS TOO. So a “been there, done that, got the T-shirt” mentality, is very prevalent among a group of people like LISTENERS (CUSTOMERS OF MUSIC) happens very quickly.

Same as “TREND SONGS” where everything is the same over and over again. This is very prevalent in pop and rock where a lot of subject matter is always the same. “Getting the opposite sex, losing the opposite sex, wanting the opposite sex.” That’s about all there is in pop music. Country has become very much like that too, so I can’t throw stones. Just say it’s pretty much all the same and pretty hard to find things to write about.

The second reason is that the NEWS CYCLES CHANGE SO FAST, by the time you write something, fine tune it, record it, get it OUT THERE, we have already moved through a dozen other things. I worked with one guy who was so hateful of Obama, and was a big Herman Cain supporter. He was spending a LOT of money on a demo and I told him not to do it. It was called “He’s gonna beat Obama with a CAIN!”
About the day before we finished recording it, (I was producing the session) it came out that Herman Cain had sexual harrassment charges against him and he dropped completely out of the race.
OOPS!!!!

In 1998 we lost DALE EARNHEART, and about every third song was some kind of “NUMBER THREE’S RACING UP IN HEAVEN” style songs.
After 9-11, EVERYONE had their own weigh in on the subject.
When we got into Afganistan and Iraq, there was the bandwagon.
When everybody turned against the war, THERE IS THAT BAND WAGON.

But there is a cool saying we have on those “all sound the same” songs.
“EYE ROLLERS!” you look at titles, first lines, and say NEXT.

If you have something to GET OFF YOUR CHEST, go ahead and write it. But if you are going to try and pitch it, you best realize that you are going to alienate HALF your audience, no matter what side you are on. And you are probably going to offend one of the people you need to help you, before you even know it. AND, it often happens that they never listen to anything else you ever bring in.

If you see how vitriolic and nasty the Internet has become, you ought to hear what they say about those things BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 4