New singer-songwriter

Dec 08, 2017, 03:16 PM

Hi everyone,
Please have a browse through my Spotify https://open.spotify.com/artist/2hpEAh15v3o81AUHIedgjM or Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlC4snMUXoPriPI4cTxvbA/playlists and let me know what you think! All tracks are home recordings and were made with just an acoustic guitar and a keyboard for the other sounds. I have only been songwriting for a few months but I’ve recorded a bunch of material now as you can see and would love some feedback!

Edward Mewburn Joined Dec 08, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 09, 2017, 07:54 PM

Ok, lots of stuff here… so, honestly, if it didn’t grab me in the first 30sec I moved on.

Help desk
Over the years
Shelly
Porcupine
I can hear your heart
Changing tides

These are the ones that caught my attention :) Overall it seems to me that you’re
having lots of fun recording, and you most definitely should! You’re obviously not
lacking inspiration lol. My critique….. focus on your vocals! Sing the words and then
throw music at them, don’t just throw words at the music! The vox are the most
important part of any song with lyrics so bring them out front and be proud of them!
The lyrics library here is a great place to mix things up and swap ideas with people,
I think you should post a song or two there. Welcome to the 101!

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 13, 2017, 12:05 AM

Keeping The Peace: lots of potential. kept waiting for a big chorus or something to counter balance the main guitar riff. maybe even a   confounded bridge?

Subway Station: kinda Doors-ish which for me is always cool. definitely work on the vocal melody. nice touch with the solo.

No Reason: Good start. was thinking ‘yeah here we go.” but again, was waiting for some kind of change away from the main progression though. 

Different Threads: Dig it. thinking you could extend this one. could be a pretty sweet jam session.  noodly guitars, the whole nine.

and there were a few others i browsed through, ultimately i was run off by the incessant Macy’s ad. Yeah man, digging your sound! lots of great ideas in there! kinda sorta has an Arthur Lee’s Love, 60’s pop rock vibe. Love’s ‘Forever Changes’ is one of my all time favorite albums of all freeking time if you havent heard it yet. Check It Out! i really think you’d appreciate it!

right On! welcome to the club! :D

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 14, 2017, 11:35 AM
JAPOV - 09 December 2017 07:54 PM

Ok, lots of stuff here… so, honestly, if it didn’t grab me in the first 30sec I moved on.

Help desk
Over the years
Shelly
Porcupine
I can hear your heart
Changing tides

These are the ones that caught my attention :) Overall it seems to me that you’re
having lots of fun recording, and you most definitely should! You’re obviously not
lacking inspiration lol. My critique….. focus on your vocals! Sing the words and then
throw music at them, don’t just throw words at the music! The vox are the most
important part of any song with lyrics so bring them out front and be proud of them!
The lyrics library here is a great place to mix things up and swap ideas with people,
I think you should post a song or two there. Welcome to the 101!

Hey, thanks so much for your feedback! I know there is a lot of stuff there, I think I’ll respost soon just my latest release and see what people think of that! I think you’re right, the vocals are so important and need work, I wish I had a studio I could go in and really belt something out but currently I’m just in my apartment with very thin walls and neighbours!

Lyrics start the whole process for me, I write them first then put music to it, so I’ll definitely check that out!

• Rank

Send PM

Dec 14, 2017, 11:43 AM
Brad Jaggard - 13 December 2017 12:05 AM

Keeping The Peace: lots of potential. kept waiting for a big chorus or something to counter balance the main guitar riff. maybe even a   confounded bridge?

Subway Station: kinda Doors-ish which for me is always cool. definitely work on the vocal melody. nice touch with the solo.

No Reason: Good start. was thinking ‘yeah here we go.” but again, was waiting for some kind of change away from the main progression though. 

Different Threads: Dig it. thinking you could extend this one. could be a pretty sweet jam session.  noodly guitars, the whole nine.

and there were a few others i browsed through, ultimately i was run off by the incessant Macy’s ad. Yeah man, digging your sound! lots of great ideas in there! kinda sorta has an Arthur Lee’s Love, 60’s pop rock vibe. Love’s ‘Forever Changes’ is one of my all time favorite albums of all freeking time if you havent heard it yet. Check It Out! i really think you’d appreciate it!

right On! welcome to the club! :D

Hey Brad,
Thanks so much for your feedback! That’s definitely something I can work on, progression within a song, I tend to write lots of short songs rather than working for a long time on each. I love the Doors, and I love “Love"too! They must have influenced me, just how bizarre and unpredictable those songs are! For me though the Beatles are the big one

• Rank

Send PM