Pretty Smart Sister

1 of 3

Dec 10, 2017, 10:05 PM

This thing started out over on the Lyrics Library section, but, other than Brad (thanks, pal) nobody gave me any feedback. Not to worry, I’m pretty happy with the lyrics now after a few changes, so I’m looking for any suggestions on the mix and also on whether I should add any kind of chorus effects or even backing vocals on the chorus -girls in black dresses singing “woooh” (you’ll need to imagine the girls) - or better to leave it simple with just my vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/pretty-smart-sister-2

or

http://mysteriousbeings.com/portfolio/pretty-smart-sister/

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 11, 2017, 04:18 AM

Aldo is seriously kickin’ it!!! :)

Run a stereo delay through a stereo pitch shifter and get your wife to sing “Tell Me, Tell Me, Tell Me”

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 11, 2017, 05:42 AM

Mix sounds good. In my opinion, you used the reverb on your voice a little too generously :).

The lyrics are fun and the song itself is good. Well done ...

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 11, 2017, 11:36 AM

Thanks Tony. We are very lucky to have Aldo.

What is a stereo pitch shifter? And where are you hearing the “Tell Me, Tell Me, Tell Me”?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 11, 2017, 02:45 PM

Ummmm….... well, it’s exactly what it sounds like lol. It will retain your original signal in the center
depending on your mix level, but also creates 2 pre-delayed L/R signals that you can either slightly
pitch in increments of 1/12 of a half step or full half steps up to an octave + or -. If you set all your
delays and pre-delays slightly different on both effects you basically turn 1 voice into 6. You can
even create 3 part stereo harmony!

Where? I’m hearing a “cutesy/whiny” chorus in the background just every now-n-then during your
verses :)

[ Edited: 11 December 2017 02:56 PM by JAPOV]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 11, 2017, 05:23 PM

Hmm, that sounds very useful. Where does one get such a thing?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 11, 2017, 07:07 PM

I’m sure there’s a plug-in or patch or something for your program… It’s not new. And, of course,
you could just do it the “Oll’ Fashon” way :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 11, 2017, 08:58 PM

Thanks Tony. I’m searching for plug-ins now, but it is really confusing as people in various forums seem to ask about pitch shifting and other people reply about widening as if it were the same thing. I have Ozone Imager which is supposed to do stereo widening, but there are absolutely no instructions, so I can’t get the best out of it. Besides, it doesn’t do pitch shifting (unless it’s happening automatically and I just don’t notice it happening).

When you talk about doing it the old fashioned way, do you mean creating two duplicate tracks, panning one way right and one way left and then adjusting the pitch just a little on each of them? My DAW allows me to adjust the pitch in increments of 0.1 semitones, so I should be able to do this manually. Then add a tiny bit of delay to each of them?

It sure would be a lot easier if I could find a plug-in that did this for me!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 11, 2017, 10:46 PM

I don’t use a computer, as you know, so I really don’t know how an interface works. What I do know
is that they’re making small 8-10 channel mixing boards now that have built in stereo effects and also
stereo effect loop busses for an external processor (just like a regular analog mixer) but they come
with software and are usb compatible. So the mixer basically becomes, or takes the place of, your
basic interface. You can have lots of fun with layered effects and dual mics before your signal even
makes it to your daw. Plus, it’s a MIXER lol, it has it’s own stereo outputs so you don’t have to boot
up your computer and load a program when you just want to mess around :)

Oh, and yes… the duplicate track thing is definitely another way to do it. And remember, in the digital
domain, you can duplicate and effect as many tracks as you want!

[ Edited: 11 December 2017 11:11 PM by JAPOV]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 12, 2017, 03:21 AM

Hi,

sorry to interrupt. But isn´t “pitch shifting” kind of a technique that allowes a musician to “lower or higher” the key ....?

Gavin, most of the DAW´s do have a pitch shifter included (the outcome quality is not the best though). Stereo delay could should be included in the DAW as well. So if I get the idea right, Tony´s suggestion is to sing the “Tell me, Tell me” part, do a pitch shift and add kind of a stereo delay ... to achieve a song similar to a female choir, isn´t it?

In modern days: Just sing it, mark it, add a pitch shift (“up one octave”), add stereo delay. Done.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 12, 2017, 10:13 AM

Thanks Martin.

Is that what you’re talking about, Tony?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 12, 2017, 03:07 PM

LOL! That’s a great demo.

When you say “I’m going to turn on a stereo delay,” what are you actually doing? Same with turning on “stereo pitch shift.” What are you doing there? Flicking a switch? And how is it different from the manual pitch changing you do at the end?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 12, 2017, 04:03 PM

That’s exactly right, I’m running my old Roland VS840 through an Alesis Midiverb4,
then through a new Behringer Virtualizer3D I just picked up. So, yea I’m just sitting
there with a mic pressing buttons in real time! I highly recommend the Behringer
BTW. It doesn’t go as in depth as the Midiverb but it does have some very useful and
universal utilities for mastering. Plus, since it’s less complicated, it’s very user
friendly…. a perfect little companion for a larger effect unit :) $130.00 new.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 12, 2017, 04:29 PM

Hey, Tony did the same thing I was talking about

But how about using the harmony function with stereo delay?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 12, 2017, 04:47 PM

Lol, that is pitch with delay. I set the pre-delays and delays very short to avoid
too much reverb effect. Nothing will ever beat the sound of an actual chorus of
different voices, but it is a fun effect. Sounds great with acoustic guitar. And if
you add a little stereo flange to it you sound like “The Borg” :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 3