Why Bob Dylan Is Important To Songwriters, from DiscMakers Blog

Dec 12, 2017, 07:47 PM

If Dylan writes like I do, words just come to you, and you, the first listener, are hooked by the ideas in that first line. Those first-line ideas imply a story and a second line comes to you that makes sense in the context set by the first line. Soon you start to get the sense of the Singer-Character, not you; the guy in the song, the guy whose story it is, is take on it. And then you keep letting him tell his story, as you comprehend it.

THE Hook, the title or summary line, comes when it’s time for it, when ‘enough’ setting of the scene, putting props on the stage, setting up for the punch line, has been done. ‘Enough’ is a judgment call.

I don’t think Dylan contrived a lot of those songs to send any message. He just wrote songs. That we, the second listeners, could conceive of what they MIGHT mean may be totally irrelevant to what they mean to Bob. Interpret all you like, but it’s bad form to attribute any definite intent to Bob. If he tells you what he thinks, then that’s ok to quote.

He’s just a song and dance man, doing what he does. May The Force continue to be with him.

http://blog.discmakers.com/2017/12/why-bob-dylan-is-important-to-songwriters/?utm_campaign=EA1750&utm_source=DMAudio&utm_medium=Email&spMailingID=55557121&spUserID=MjcwMjk0NzU3S0&spJobID=1302164447&spReportId=MTMwMjE2NDQ0NwS2

[ Edited: 12 December 2017 07:49 PM by Gary E. Andrews]

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 30, 2018, 10:39 AM

All these years I tried to find a way to like Bob Zimmerman,but in vain.Maybe it was a jealousy and maybe because his lack of proper pronunciation I had a hard time to understand the lyrics.Or maybe because my English was not my mother’s language.Reading the lyrics latter helped a bit tho.He lost me completely with his chauvinist-pig dealing with Joan Bayes who I liked very much and I had no problem to understand to her lyrics at all.Bob Dylan definitely was not a crooner type singer,where in this genre one needs a voice as for example Sinatra or Tony Benedetto.(My idol,still)

[ Edited: 30 January 2018 10:45 AM by Otto Kristen]

Otto Kristen Joined Jul 26, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 30, 2018, 04:50 PM

I really have no clue, but I personally find my songwriting develops from sort of the exact opposite point. Usually it starts with a very general line that implies a certain theme, which becomes the hook, and works backwards into a story that culminates with that more general idea. But I’m also no Bob, and like you I’d love to know what goes through his head when he writes. It’s pure ingenuity, undoubtedly.

Rhys Fraser Joined Jan 30, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 30, 2018, 06:25 PM

Dylan is a pretty funny guy. In 1965, when everybody thought he was the “VOICE OF A GENERATION” he kept saying “I’m just a song and dance man.” It got so out of hand, he went electric in 66’, causing epeletic shock among the folk royalty. He writes like 69-70 verses on some songs and just weeds them down over years and years. HE doesn’t even know how he does it. He was the one most shocked when he won the Nobel prize. Some people just seem to have the magic sprinkled over them. Can’t really figure it out and does not good to try and be “Bob Dylan.” Sometimes HE has not wanted to be BOB DYLAN. Just be the best YOU you can.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 30, 2018, 06:56 PM

Last few days I see on TV the political football with the “dreamers”,but this game is becoming quite dirty.It’s a game where the football is a human life and this game is resembling to a game of cockfight.To ease my feelings about the whole matter I started to wright some lyrics ,maybe latter for a song.You ,guys,please be judgmental.It;s good for one’s soul.

DREAMERS

WE CALL THEM THE DREAMERS
THE CHILDREN FROM ABROAD
THEY WERE SO FRAGILE ,CLUELESS
THAT TIME WHEN THEY WERE BROUGHT

THE COUNTRY EMBRACED THEM
TOOK THEM AS IT’‘S OWN
THEY THOUGHT SHE’S THEIR HOMELAND
WHILE THEIR MINDS AND BODIES GROWN

IN NEED TO PULL HIS WEIGHT
SOME SO CALLED POLITICIAN
HIS RASPY VOICE BEGAN