TAXI: New TV Show Seeking Songs

2 of 2

Dec 17, 2017, 06:54 PM

Who put a quarter in MAB? LOL.

I was actually responding to JAPOV’s post with the question about bait and switch. Still, those are all fair points you make, MAB.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 17, 2017, 07:34 PM

Sorry Gavin,

These are some of the most common questions asked about songwriting, companies, etc. They are good one’s. You sort of have to explain the totality of them.

Let me ask you. What are you looking for? What do you want to do with your music? What avenues are you thinking about? Is it just the types of “pitch services, or are you looking at other avenues?

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 17, 2017, 08:06 PM

I’ll take a stab at that if you don’t mind…...

I know most songwriters instinctively remain true to themselves….. the definition of
commercial is too vague to ponder given that it will change tomorrow. So, “What am
I looking for?” I already found it! An open internet songwriters forum “Songwriter101”.
Since I am a songwriter, but I’ve never seen the inside of a studio… never bumped
elbows with anyone famous… have always been rather conservative… and don’t have
anything to sell…..... I figure the best I can ever hope to accomplish, Right Here, is to
simply make fans of my peers! And vice versa :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 18, 2017, 01:47 PM
MBarne4908 - 17 December 2017 07:34 PM

Sorry Gavin,

These are some of the most common questions asked about songwriting, companies, etc. They are good one’s. You sort of have to explain the totality of them.

Let me ask you. What are you looking for? What do you want to do with your music? What avenues are you thinking about? Is it just the types of “pitch services, or are you looking at other avenues?

MAB

Good question, MAB. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. I have no illusions about striking it rich. I mainly do it for the enjoyment. I enjoy not only writing and recording but learning more about doing so and interacting with like-minded people. I would like to see my songs reach some sort of an audience, which is why I put them on SoundCloud, iTunes, Spotify, etc.

In the future, I might try to hook up with local performers and offer them my songs. It would be fun to see them performed live. I think some of them are good enough for that, even if they are a long way from being heard on the radio.

And my ultimate ambition is one day to create something of beauty - because surely that’s what it’s all about.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 18, 2017, 03:14 PM

Gavin and Japov,

Sounds like a great deal of what you want you are already getting. Very good. Those are reasonable goals. Being a part of and contributing to a viable network, to share information, experiences, music, ideas, etc. are the great first step. I would strongly encourage you both to look around you in your areas, and try to find some local songwriter groups, venues that feature songwriters, attend workshops, seminars or social gatherings in your not to distant areas. Sometimes you have to travel a bit but I can promise you it is worth it, if for no other reason, than to realize you are not the only one in your area.

So much of what you are both looking for can be achieved. I try to speak about this in everything I do.
There is nothing like
#1. Finding some real people to hang out with, perform on small venues with or encourage others.
#2. Developing those relationships to one or more people that can flower into co-writing, performing with.
#3. Writing songs that go in directions you never thought to go in.
#4. Dealing with the ups and downs of personalities, being able to put your own ego in the background for a greater goal.
#5. Hearing those songs develop through the eyes and ears of others.
#6. Sitting in an audience when those songs are performed and hit the “sweet spot” with an audience, to “oohs and aahs” and applause.
#7. Having people approach you or contact you online through your combined efforts.
#8. Hearing the song or songs develop into the basic work tape state, to more refined recording techniques. Offering suggestions.
#9. Hearing other people TALK about your songs freely and without having to bombard other people from yourself.
#10. Hearing those songs go to places you never thought of, other web sites, YOU TUBE, and seeing people’s responses.

You probably have experienced some of this. But I believe, and see all the time, people going to places they never realized they would go.
It can be really great journey, and no matter what happens, you will always find things you didn’t know.

It has nothing to do with “RICH OR FAMOUS. ” I don’t even think much of that happens anymore. It has to do with artist expression, and enriching the community in which you live. It can have rewards you never saw coming.

I believe you are both on that pathway. Just always have to try to reach more and keep moving forward.

IT’S NOT THE DESTINATION, IT’S THE ROAD THAT GETS YOU THERE.

Yeah, I wrote that too. LOL!
Good luck. I’m always around if I can help.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 18, 2017, 07:08 PM

I have to say, I’m pretty content with SW101 and the members here, I have no illusions of becoming rich or famous, or even infamous, LOL.  I won’t say that I have bumped elbows with anyone famous, but I have met many talented musicians and famous performers during my previous career mid 70’s through mid 90’s, and though that in itself was thrilling, I would not want the constant pressure those individuals faced on a daily basis, preforming, traveling, being away from home more than at home, agents, studios, tours, fans, ect., it takes a certain breed of person to do what they did and I take my hat off to them, but it wasn’t my cup of tea.  There are many talented writers here and I enjoy bumping virtual elbows with them.  Best wishes to all,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 18, 2017, 11:53 PM

Ha!!  ““BUVE””  :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank