TRUTH’S A BITTER PILL

Dec 23, 2017, 10:56 AM

Hi everybody,
I found the lyrics of this song in the “Lyrics Library” section of this forum: http://www.songwriter101.com/forums/viewthread/95100/
The lyrics were written by Carroll Kiphen.

I posted a stripped down demo there, which was my initial idea of the way I hear these lines. In the meantime I’ve done a bit more production work and added bass, a few guitars, drums, strings and other things. This is what my full production demo now sounds like.
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13670763

All the best
Robert

TRUTH’S A BITTER PILL
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13670763

Verse 1:
It was April
It was raining
Early afternoon

Verse 2:
There was lightning
There was thunder
And I was missing you

Pre-chorus:
Poured some consolation
A shot of 80 proof
Magnified the lonely
It clarified the truth

Chorus:
The windows shook, I shuddered
Truth’s – a bitter pill
I tasted love, I lost it
Truth’s – a bitter pill

Verse 3:
I was sorry
I was angry
Mostly with myself

Verse 4:
I was so stupid
And oh so selfish
To put you through this hell

Pre-chorus

Chorus:
The windows shook, I shuddered
Truth’s – a bitter pill
I tasted love, I lost it
Truth’s – a bitter pill
Threw away what mattered
Truth’s - a bitter pill
I take the blame and I swallow
Truth’s - a bitter pill

Bridge:
I stared at that empty bottle
Like a crystal ball
I saw that life without you
Was no life at all

Chorus

Lyrics: Carroll Kiphen
Music: Robert Baitinger
All instruments: Robert Baitinger

http://www.robertbaitinger.de

[ Edited: 26 December 2017 06:43 PM by Robert Baitinger]

Robert Baitinger Joined Jun 01, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 23, 2017, 12:48 PM

Can’t get soundclick to play it!

carroll kiphen Joined Feb 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 23, 2017, 01:37 PM

Very nice production as always, Robert.

For me personally, the chorus is still a bit flat. The pre-chorus really builds the musical tension very nicely. It’s the best part of the song, but then the chorus, musically, is basically the verse again. How about starting it on a different chord? That could be all it needs.

I don’t mean to be negative. Quite the opposite. I like this a lot, which is why I care enough to keep banging on about it :)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 23, 2017, 03:16 PM

Actually Robert and I ‘sort of” discussed that as well Gav lol. I like the Am at the start
of the chorus, I really do! But the arrangement doesn’t allow for it to “Jump Out” at
you like it should. You have to listen closely for the change because the piano is doing
all the work but getting lost in the mix :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 23, 2017, 03:47 PM

Hi Gavin,
in the verses I play

C - Cm7
F - C
Am - Asus2 – F - Csus4

In the chorus I play

Am - F
C - G
and repeated that

Musically they are very different, as you can see. You wrote that the chorus should be bigger and more different from the verse. Exactly that’s what I tried to do. I took the piano down in the chorus and put in the e-guitar and strings and the drums are pretty strong as well. I’m playing different chords and different instruments. For the chorus I was even thinking about singing some gang vocals and making it sound like a choir, but I don’t think that would fit the words well.

All the best
Robert

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 24, 2017, 04:35 AM

Hi Robert,

very good production as always. Sounds great!

Well, if I had to define the “weak spot” of this song, what is not so easy to do, because the song is good - it would be the hook. “Truth a bitter pill” ... it does not work for me, neither musicly nor lyricly.

In my opinion the “hook line” needs to be a bit longer. Well, if you insist on the “bitter pill” line, there should be something like “I found truth is a too-bitter pill”. To keep it simply personally I would use one of my Alien-English-Lines like “Truth is known to be a bitter pill”. Then you could get rid of the “pause” .

You could try to alternate the melody by bringing in some higher notes on that"hook line”... Another suggestion would be not to overuse the “hook”, using it twice per chorus would be something that could work…

Just my 2 cent

[ Edited: 24 December 2017 04:42 AM by Martin G]

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 24, 2017, 11:54 AM
Robert Baitinger - 23 December 2017 03:47 PM

Hi Gavin,
in the verses I play

C - Cm7
F - C
Am - Asus2 – F - Csus4

In the chorus I play

Am - F
C - G
and repeated that

Musically they are very different, as you can see. You wrote that the chorus should be bigger and more different from the verse. Exactly that’s what I tried to do. I took the piano down in the chorus and put in the e-guitar and strings and the drums are pretty strong as well. I’m playing different chords and different instruments. For the chorus I was even thinking about singing some gang vocals and making it sound like a choir, but I don’t think that would fit the words well.

All the best
Robert

Well, now I feel like an idiot :)

I don’t know why they sound so similar to me. The problem must be my ears or my brain, or both.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 25, 2017, 12:34 PM

Ok, you guys finally convinced me. I’m moving on to my next project and I’m putting this song in my big pile of songs labeled “nice try”. Thanks for the honest and straight-forward feedback. That’s what I love about this site. Hopefully the next one will be better.

All the best
Robert

[ Edited: 27 December 2017 08:18 AM by Robert Baitinger]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 25, 2017, 01:09 PM

Robert, I for one never meant to convince you of that. There are things I really like about this song.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 25, 2017, 02:23 PM

Hey Gavin,
it wasn’t you alone who convinced me. I let a lot of people listen to this song and so many of them had issues with it. Tony would have arranged it differently, I think. You didn’t like the chorus, Martin had issues with the hook. A friend of mine said the song was so depressing and probably the worst I’ve ever done. They all pointed to so many different things. I don’t think I can fix them all. I wrote and produced this song the way I heard Carroll write these lines and apparently not many people hear it the way I do. That’s ok. I’m fine with that. That’s the way the art of music is sometimes. I just decided to focus on my next project instead.

All the best
Robert

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 25, 2017, 08:31 PM

I just wish we could sort out our file situation Robert lol. Do you mind if I post the rough idea I sent
you? Perhaps Gavin n I can smash this all together :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 26, 2017, 03:03 PM

Hi Tony,
I have no objections at all. Please, go ahead and post it.

All the best
Robert

[ Edited: 27 December 2017 08:18 AM by Robert Baitinger]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 26, 2017, 09:17 PM

Hello Robert/Carroll,

Like I said before, when I first read this lyric I had a good feeling about it.  Great lyrics Carroll, so many of us can identify with this situation.  Great music and production Robert, you nailed the mood of the lyric to the music, I very much enjoyed listening.  I often say the same thing about your productions Robert, this piece would fit well in a movie sound track, you have that knack.  Not all will have a positive response to mood music, but mood music used in a strategic situation can be sensational.  Kudos to you both, good luck and best wishes,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM