Things not to do when trying to get your songs onto iTunes

Jan 05, 2018, 07:24 PM

A little while ago, I started putting some of my songs up on digital platforms through a distributor (Amuse). Everything went smoothly with my first song. When it came to the second song, everything went fine with all the online outlets except iTunes. I submitted it in plenty of time for Christmas, something that was quite important as it is a Christmas song, but it just never appeared.

The folks at Amuse eventually got back to me, saying that Apple were insisting that the song be labeled “explicit.” This seemed a bit ridiculous. The only “explicit” word is a$$, which hardly raises an eyebrow these days. Still, I agreed, thinking that would at least get it onto iTunes. Weeks went by and still no song at iTunes. The other day I found out that Apple wouldn’t make it available because they reckoned I was ripping off Mariah Carey (the song’s title is “All I Want For Christmas Is Your Far A$$ To Be Gone.”).

I have learned four things from this experience.

1. Be careful with your title if you don’t want your song to be labeled explicit at iTunes. Nobody else has any problems, but I think this department of Apple is staffed by the very primmest of maiden aunts. The title seems to be all that matters. If they had listened to even a small part of the song, they would have realized it wasn’t “explicit.”

2. It would appear that a title that even resembles a well-known song in any way is a no-no. By this standard, of course, Mariah Carey’s song should not be allowed on the site as it’s clearly a knock-off of “All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth.” Shame on you, Mariah!

3. People at Apple are stupid…

4. ...and don’t give a sh!t.  I already knew that of course from their attitude when their crappy products stop working after a few months.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 05, 2018, 11:46 PM

I was just advising a Songwriter the other day to avoid obscenities. He agreed that they’re a waste of good Melody. You can’t use them much, especially in an audience of unknown persons, some of whom may be offended, and the best that can be hoped for is the guffaw style of laughter that indicates you simply stooped to the lowest form that the lowest mentality would ‘get’.

In this case it put a monkey wrench in the machinery you hoped would work like a well-oiled machine. But you learned something and brought it back to the 101 Campus and taught the rest of us, so some good came of it.

A band of my acquaintance often resorted to obscene Lyric spouts when an original creation was in the offing, which generally meant everyone laughed a lot and no Song got written.

If you indulge in obscene tales in a Song, and I’ve got a good one, or two, they are for very limited use with very limited audiences. The likelihood of getting them out to a wider audience is limited.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 06, 2018, 09:47 AM

makes me wonder , how any rap music makes it onto itunes

sandor nevery Joined Jun 08, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 06, 2018, 12:01 PM

I agree with you, Gary, about obscenities. I never use them. I was surprised when Apple considered the use of the word “a$$” as explicit. The song itself is anything but.

Sandor, Apple’s primness may have delayed the song’s availability, but agreeing to have it labeled explicit should have solved that. It is their claim that I am ripping off Mariah Carey’s song that seems to be preventing them from releasing it. Only rappers whose song titles resemble Mariah Carey’s should encounter the problem :)

One other snippet. If you label your song explicit, it seems to apply across all outlets. It’s now labeled explicit at Spotify also. While this might actually intrigue some people, it probably will reduce its chances of getting onto Spotify playlists. Since Apple are not going to allow the song anyway, I might ask Amuse to remove the explicit label.

This should not e so complicated!

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 07, 2018, 10:11 AM

could it be that apple are so overwhelmed by the amount of music being uploaded each day , that they don’t have the time to properly investigate each song

sandor nevery Joined Jun 08, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM