“No City” (Pop/rock song)

Jan 07, 2018, 04:50 PM

Hi all,
I finally got an audio interface and began playing around with my guitar/keyboard in Garageband. This is a song that I’ve had in my head for a while. Just looking for honest feedback. I know the quality isn’t great, but hoping to find a real studio/engineer/producer if you think it’s worthy.

Link:
Stream on Dropbox

Lyrics:

“No City”

Verse 1:
Concrete veins, the sound of planes
Parking lots, industrial docks
Vertical mazes, stressed out faces

Pre-chorus:
I’m doing just fine on the riverside
Away from the lights and the transit lines

Chorus:
Don’t need no city (x4)

Verse 2:
Construction sites, it’s never night
Shopping carts pushed by restless hearts
Sidewalk races under signs screaming: going out of business

Pre-chorus:
I wanna step outside, ride a bike to the beach
See the rest of the world from a computer screen

Chorus:
Don’t need no city (x4)

[ Edited: 07 January 2018 04:55 PM by Blake]

Blake Joined Jan 07, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 07, 2018, 06:32 PM

Sounds good to me, Blake. Catchy tune. As you say, the quality is not great in the conventional sense, but I don’t think it will take much to polish it up. Others might disagree, but I think this kind of song might actually benefit from being a little rough around the edges.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 07, 2018, 07:04 PM

Thanks Gavin,
I’m curious what you mean by “this type of song”. Without knowing my musical interests, what vibe/influence/style would you say the song exudes?

• Rank

Send PM

Jan 09, 2018, 02:45 PM

I like it! Simple “feel good” rock n roll! Has a strong CheapTrick vibe! :)
What’s your set up? I think you could easily clean this up a bit yourself,
many here will certainly share tips n tricks…. and I agree with Gav, that
“Raw” feel is something you wanna’ hang on to! :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 10, 2018, 09:19 PM

Thanks Japov. I’m using a Les Paul Special I P90 and a Rode NT1-A plugged into a Scarlett 2i2 interface. The drums and keys were done with an M-Audio midi keyboard using sounds from Garage Band. Recording and mixing was done in Garage Band too. Mastering/mixing is so beyond my skillset, and I don’t know anyone with a studio. I’m a school teacher by day - this was something I played around with over the holiday, but I would like to do a lot more of it. I’d really like to find someone who can help me develop these songs into something I can be proud of, so these recordings are more of a demo-before-the-demo.

• Rank

Send PM

Jan 11, 2018, 09:42 AM

“demo-before-the-demo…” lol, yea’ most of us here have a lot of those :)
I’m not familiar with how Garage Band is set up but I’ll try to give you some
ideas to play with anyway…..

First of all, pull back on the reverb! Start with
your drum kit because it covers the entire sound spectrum. Place it in a small
warm room and Eq each individual voice (kick-snare-toms-etc.) until you know
you’re actually using the full spectrum. I find that once you nail down the sound
of your bass n drums it kinda’ becomes a sound reference for the rest of the mix.

Secondly, place every instrument in your mix in it’s own room. Guitars generally
like bright “slappy” rooms, but bass likes small “closet” spaces for clarity. Then
add just a little of that “arena” reverb to your master track! :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 11, 2018, 07:22 PM

Wow, Tony, I was going to say Cheap Trick too when I finally got around to replying to Blake’s reply to my reply.

I saw them back in the 70s back in Scotland when they played the tiny hall in St Andrews. It was that brief moment in time when bands would play even very small venues as part of the whole punk/street cred thing. I’d never heard of them, so I was completely blown away. So much so, that I didn’t bother going the next night to see another up-and-coming band that I’d never heard of, some lads calling themselves “The Police.”

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 11, 2018, 10:57 PM

Ha, lol!! Still kicking yourself I assume :) Did you take any pictures back then?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM