Artificial Intelligence Music

Jan 14, 2018, 01:28 PM

An interesting, if chilling, article from the BBC.
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180112-is-this-the-worlds-first-good-robot-album

I’d have to disagree with the author, in that the music is absolute crap - I listened to it on Spotify - but you might say that it is getting pretty close to most of what is produced these days.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 01, 2018, 10:43 AM

I don’t see a link for the music…....... :(

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 27, 2018, 10:01 AM

If you wanna be really set back on your heels, read this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Deus:_A_Brief_History_of_Tomorrow

Among other issues it address’s, including the likelihood that pretty much EVERY job you can think of, teacher, lawyer, doctor, ditch digger, are going to replaced, and a LOT sooner than you might think, by machines, is music. It seems a symphony was recently composed by AI and played among a recital of other symphonies, and average ears could not pick it out from the real thing. Give it 10 years. Or 5. I know a landscape company that is using, right now, automated mowers on some applications, yard sized Roomba’s, basically. Clerks and drivers are on borrowed time.

Think about it; something like 85% of medicine is routine and repetitive. Same goes for law. Same for teaching. One need merely to ponder hair metal, the blues, rap and EDM as well as a lot of modern country to see the routines in them and, with just a little imagination, envision computers writing, and performing, a good percentage of any popular music.

You’ll need to be an elite doctor or lawyer or judge or what have you to be in the 15% where human interaction will still have some room left.

The good news is that people are interested in experiences these days including seeing live music. No one is paying $40 to go see a juke box. They want the real thing even if it is a cover band. So, I think, I hope, human writing of songs, and performing of them, will remain important and, perhaps, as more and more automation takes over our lives and work, things like travel, work for pleasure and experience and entertainment, including music, will remain things we value, perhaps even more so.

So, as MAB always says; be aware of everything else that goes into this but first, and foremost, go write some songs!

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM