Is this legitimate?

Jan 25, 2018, 12:32 PM

I received a lyricist contract from Paramount Song. It’s asking for a fee to put 4 of my selected lyrics to music, which I’m not against. I just want to know if I should spend the money.  I was kind of expecting them to specify which lyrics they wanted to create, not the other way around.

Korina Hackert Joined Jan 11, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 25, 2018, 04:12 PM

You didn’t say why you received this contract, Korina. Did it just arrive out of the blue?

I had a quick look at their website. Personally, I would not have anything to do with them.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 25, 2018, 04:13 PM

I entered a contest and they have been e-mailing me since than.

Korina Hackert Joined Jan 11, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 25, 2018, 09:58 PM

Korina,

How are you. My name is Marc-Alan Barnette, or “MAB” here. I am a singer/songwriter/teacher/mentor based in Nashville, where I teach the craft of songwriting, the art of performance, networking and business of music. The music industry is fraught with a lot of people who tend to over promise and under deliver. It is a very competitive business and everyone is trying to create their own little slice of it. Some are well intentioned some are… well, lets just say, there are things you’d rather avoid.

There are around 30-60 million writers and artists on the Internet. About a billion songs a month are uploaded. So for someone to “find you” out of all those are pretty astounding. And quite wrong. If you have participated in contests, registered songs, contacted web sites, put music online, etc. You end up in databases of people collecting this information.

It is the same on the Internet if you go to a web site and then you get tons and tons of advertising, links to other web sites, phishing schemes, people calling you, and basically driving you crazy. That is where you are now.

This company and many others do exactly the same thing. They will “pick the songs” as much as you can pay for.”
Are they rip offs?
Depends on your definition.
For people that have no music on their songs and no other avenues, it is one way to get further along the avenue.
Their demos are usually pretty substandard and often music from other tracks they have sold over and over.
But you might enjoy hearing your song in a different format.

For me, I would prefer you reach out in your community. Find where local songwriters congregate. Go to shows, open mics, writers nights. Make some personal connections. Don’t overlook your home area.

Aside from that, there are songwriter groups, my personal favorite, is NSAI, NASHVILLE SONGWRITERS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL. They have local chapter workshops in most cities, states and many towns. You can do a GOOGLE search, visit their web site and find one that might be close to you. You also might check out JUST PLAIN FOLKS, and other songwriting groups. They all have web sites and you might do a GOOGLE search for your local area. And of course you can put lyrics up here and have people comment on them.

Good luck.
MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 26, 2018, 06:35 PM

Post some of your lyrics in the lyrics lybrary.
I may try to put music on one of them, FREE of charge.

A song is made of a melody and lyrics. A real good one will find its producer.

Also, there are other composers on this site who may help you.
Have fun!

Guy E. Trépanier Joined Dec 05, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 13, 2018, 07:52 AM
Korina Hackert - 25 January 2018 04:13 PM

I entered a contest and they have been e-mailing me since than.

That´s what they do, it´s part of their Business-plan.

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM