Mic placement for Acoustic Guitar?

Jan 30, 2018, 04:54 AM

Hi

I have always struggled to get ‘That sound’ from my recorded acoustic guitar.

So a while ago I did a controlled test, and went through most of the well known mic placements, played the same tune, with strumming and finger picking, quiet and loud.

The winner was Mid-Side, and i have to say by quite a way (to my ears anyway)

What are your experiences? and recommendations.

Just for completeness… guitar is a Gibson J130, with new strings, with a Rode NT2a and an NT3.

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 30, 2018, 03:28 PM

Standard Dean Markley sound hole PU placed diagonally (top toward bridge)  and a condenser
Mic placed right where the body meets the neck about 12-14 inches away but angled towards
the sound hole. Mix the two signals about 30/70 PU/Mic :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 31, 2018, 10:52 AM

Thanks Japov, I try that

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 01, 2018, 04:03 AM

Many great ways to do this, but basically what Japov said! Different mics makes a big difference also. Do you use a mic-preamp?

Also I find that for most accoustics, a 0.13 set of strings does wonders (as compared to using 12s or even thinner)..

Good luck =)

Joachim Røsvik Skjervum Joined Jan 29, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 01, 2018, 04:23 AM
Joachim Røsvik Skjervum - 01 February 2018 04:03 AM

Many great ways to do this, but basically what Japov said! Different mics makes a big difference also. Do you use a mic-preamp?

Also I find that for most accoustics, a 0.13 set of strings does wonders (as compared to using 12s or even thinner)..

Good luck =)

Hi Joachim, what difference does a pre amp make? and you make a good point about the strings, I must change them.

Regards

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 01, 2018, 04:45 AM
Rich - 01 February 2018 04:23 AM
Joachim Røsvik Skjervum - 01 February 2018 04:03 AM

Good luck =)

Hi Joachim, what difference does a pre amp make? and you make a good point about the strings, I must change them.

Regards

Rich

A preamp makes it sound bigger and clearer. You can do more or less the same with pluggs, but with accoustic guitars (and vocals) I prefer a stand alone mic-pre. Doesn’t have to be an expensive one, lots of great cheap ones, as an example the Presonus Blue Tube.

Hope this helps =)

• Rank

Send PM

Feb 01, 2018, 05:50 AM

Hi Joachim, I was so interested in your comment I ordered the presonus, so I’ll let you know how it goes…thanks very much for the advice.

I have a pre amp plugin but it didn’t do anything significant.

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 01, 2018, 06:19 AM

The real deal is way better than a plugg, but pluggs are getting better and better =)

• Rank

Send PM

Feb 03, 2018, 03:32 PM
Joachim Røsvik Skjervum - 01 February 2018 06:19 AM

The real deal is way better than a plugg, but pluggs are getting better and better =)

Hi Joachim

The pre amp arrived yesterday (the Presonus as your recommended), I have to admit it does give it something, anyway, I used the XY config for this re recorded version of Special 2018. called imaginatively Special 2018 v2.

The plugin sounded great for the Bass guitar, thanks again (not on this track though)

Thanks for the tip, let me know what you think?

https://soundcloud.com/cowparsleyman/special-2018-v2

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM