Izotope Neutron Elements

1 of 2

Feb 23, 2018, 04:11 PM

Does anyone have any experience of Izotope Neutron Elements? There is a flash sale ending today with a price of $29 instead of the regular $129. It looks like it might be pretty useful to a novice like me when it comes to mixing.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 23, 2018, 04:33 PM

Well I never, Just bought it this morning, early signs are promising, but for 29 buck Plus VAT $34 it looks OK, I’m trialling the Ozone mastering thing as well, now that looks very promising. I didn’t go for the suite as I already have the restoration plugins.

I’d give it a punt.

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 23, 2018, 04:43 PM

Great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ)! I have Ozone also. Martin G steered me towards it and I find it very useful. I think I’m going to give Neutron Elements s a shot too. I kind of like the idea of having EQ, compression and a couple of other things together in one visual interface and the track assistant looks like it might be useful for someone like me.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 23, 2018, 04:47 PM

I don’t know if you have Nectar ( i have elements), but I find that brilliant, very cheap but very usable, also Melodyne Studio is very good (but that’s not so cheap).

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 23, 2018, 04:49 PM

and by the way, you are an enigma, or are you?

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 23, 2018, 04:54 PM

What exactly does Nectar do, Rich?

I have a basic version of Melodyne that came with my DAW, Mixcraft.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 03:12 AM

Its a really easy way to get the right sound for vocals. I found the elements packages doe what I need.

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 10:37 AM

I just looked at that. I may be wrong, but if you go to the “compare versions” page you’ll see
that the $30 version is very limited. It doesn’t allow you to import custom multiple tracks???
If you buy it Gav, let us know!

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 12:34 PM

Are you talking about Neutron or Nectar, Tony?

I did buy the $29 Neutron. It is pretty limited in some ways. It only has a couple of presets for male voice “Male Vocal Basic” and “Male Basic De-Ess.” It has the same for female with the addition of 2 more “Female Parallell” and “Female Filtered.” There is also “Easy Backgrounds,” “Stacked Backgrounds” and “Tape Saturated.”

There are also presets for guitar (electric and acoustic), bass, keys, drums and mix bus. I have only just begun to play with it, but I have to say I immediately liked the results. The If I have time, I’ll post a track mixed with Neutron to compare with one I did previously.

Rich, I don’t know if the Nectar Elements package is still available, but there is a sale on now for Nectar Production Suite for $99 instead of $299. It does look very powerful for vocals, which is where most of my problems lie. I also like the look of the harmony module.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 03:38 PM

Hi Gavin,

I’ve been using Neutron elemts today and yip youre right it is pretty basic, and limited, but worth a punt, maybe next time I trial it. I realised that it does what I do anyway by habit.

Nectar is reallt useful, but I found the auto correction is quite naff, I would recommend you upgrade your Melodyne as much as you can afford, it really is worth it. I was recording some vox this afternoon and after a while my accuracy just went, Melodyne sorted it, in a way that’s un noticable, it’s better for creating harmonies that you can’t reach, as you can change the formant, so if I am moving the notes up and out of my register, it sounds like a female singer, very realistic for BVox.

I’m going to post a new song on this forum in a tick, and that’s using Melodyne on the BVox, put it this way, I’m doing all the vox.

Anyway that’s my view on it.

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 04:24 PM

Gavin, will the $30 version allow you to import multiple tracks (Wav files) from another source
and “re-work” them? And if I’m understanding correctly, it sort of automatically Eq’s everything?

Also, what about reverb effects?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 04:47 PM

Rich, yea I can’t wait to hear female Bvox! I normally sound like a cross betwee Johnny Cash
and the Duke lol…...... I’m always trying to sing way out of my range. I recently saw a guy use
a harmonizer live with just an acoustic guitar, sounded Awesome! But he was a good singer
to begin with…...

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 05:28 PM
JAPOV - 24 February 2018 04:24 PM

Gavin, will the $30 version allow you to import multiple tracks (Wav files) from another source
and “re-work” them? And if I’m understanding correctly, it sort of automatically Eq’s everything?

Also, what about reverb effects?

Tony, it’s a plug-in for your DAW. You use it to work on individual tracks. The way it works with my DAW (Acoustica Mixcraft) is that you select a track, select Neutron as an effect, click Edit and it opens up to allow you to use the plug-in.

It automatically applies the global presets that you select, which affect EQ, compression, exciter and transient shaper. You can then adjust them manually. Within the EQ component, you can click on “Learn” while your track is playing. It listens for 4 - 10 seconds and places the markers for up to 12 bands at the frequencies it identifies as being most appropriate and makes some adjustments at these points. It’s a starting point from which you can tweak to your hearts content.

It doesn’t do anything with reverb. You would have to do that separately. For example, in the song I am playing around with, I have the following effects enabled on the vocal track.
Acoustica Delay
OldSkoolVerb (a free reverb plug-in I downloaded)
Neutron Elements

Within Neutron Elements, I have applied the EQ and compressor, as well as the exciter and transient shaper. I still have to figure out how best to use those last two.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 08:21 PM

Ahhh….glad I asked! I thought it was a cheap multi-tracker with presets for each instrument.
But that’s probably what “band in a box” is lol. I’d like to mess around with a multi-track
mastering software…....... something simple.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 08:43 PM

Neutron is for mixing, not mastering. Izotope Ozone is for mastering. I use that too.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 24, 2018, 11:06 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 24 February 2018 08:43 PM

Neutron is for mixing, not mastering. Izotope Ozone is for mastering. I use that too.

Lol…..... See, that doesn’t make a bit of sense to me. I approach mixing/mastering from a “live sound” perspective so what you hear is what you get. But on a computer I guess every step of the process is a plug-in.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2