Pro Tools

Feb 25, 2018, 10:31 AM

OK, so, I chose to do the PT First version (because it, and I, am cheap) but then I bought (bought!!!) a plug in we’re using for another project, EZMX, and it won’t work with PT First because PTF is FREE and they, Avid (they are PT) want you to buy their plug ins. Fair enough. So, I am paying my own freight at $25 a month and now have way more versatility including being able to use any platform compatible plug ins with no phony limits. PT First, in addition to limiting what plug ins you could use, was limited on what and how you could save (VERY) and didn’t include any converters. SO, OK, fine. I am now playing ball. And very happy to be doing so.

I said all that to say this; EZMX has some mastering presets that sound amazing, to me anyway. You just select EZMX (or any other plug in you’re using) and attach it to your master which then applies to to all tracks on that project. You can apply it individually as well for more advanced control. So, scroll through a bunch of them, the mastering presets, while listening to your track, and viola! Instant Engineering Genius.

Not really. Nothing is going to compare to a real pro engineering and mastering your work, but this stuff is amazing for the mean time until we all get discovered and handed credit cards with no limits that will never be declined and can afford real pros.

So, now that I said all THAT, if you’re still interested, give a listen to What about us. There are 2 copies and see if you can tell the difference. That’s a trick question. You’ll be able to tell RIGHT away.

Just wanted to share to get our hit count up and share what little I know, and am learning, about the DIY world of music recording.

Enjoy!!!

https://soundcloud.com/user-145911756

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 25, 2018, 02:22 PM

Can’t resist anyone who confesses he is trying to get his hit count up LOL.

Yes, the version with EZMIX is much better.

PRO Tools is a pretty expensive DAW, Larry. I’m sure it’s worth it for professionals, but I know I would never get the value out of it. I’m a bit unsure about the plug-in restrictions. Will it not let you install VST plug-ins?

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 03:12 AM

Thanks for listening, Gavin!

Not sure of details. Has something to do with AAX and VST format incompatibility and some proprietary feature built into PT First, the free version, to make it that way. Geek stuff. I don’t wanna know how to build ‘em! I just wanna play with them! LOL

In any event, had to choose one of them, a DAW, and PT kept coming up as not the best nor cheapest option for beginners but pretty much still the standard if you’re going to go beyond DIY. As it happens, the other project I’m working on, they have a damn good home studio, insulated, isolated, 32 channel board, full on drum room with all top of the line drum mics and they have used PT for some years now and have sent off work to some actual pros including another project they did that became a real CD.

So, their familiarity with it steered me that way, too. So, I can do work at home, guitar and bass, and just email them routine stuff. It seems to be working for us. Maybe I could have done the same with another DAW but their expertise in PT, and my involvement, plus our own stuff, makes a dollar a day seem reasonable.

The down side, LOL, is that I used to think I played a lot. The first two weeks, man, I had some worries if I was imply too old to play THAT much. My hands HURT non stop. Sore. But, like most things, it’s a process and, after working on one project, including bass, most of the
week, we worked our own stuff half the weekend and my hands are a LOT better.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 04:53 AM

Well, ProTools is always called the “Industry Standard”. But only in the US. In Europe it´s Cubase Steinberg.
I do remember, back in the old days when I was young, around 1992 - my favorite band was one of the first ever to produce one of their albums on a Beta Version of ProTools on a Macintosh Quadra ...

To be honest. I don´t really like either ProTools nor Steinberg.

For long time I was using Samplitude on a Windows PC, but always had troubles with the latency. Then a friend recommanded me to buy a mac mini. Now the latency is gone - and Logic makes me happy.

As simple as it is. ProTools became the Industry Standard simply for beeing the very FIRST professional DAW. So many Studios and Producers, who became obsessed with digital audio recording, started on ProTools. It worked for them, so no reason to try out something else. So everyone in the old days was using ProTools. To work with each other, all the other people used ProTools as well…

Logic is mostly used by Songwriters and home studios ..

[ Edited: 26 February 2018 05:09 AM by Martin G]

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 08:28 AM

Martin,

If I were to do a track on Pro Tools and send it to someone using Cubase, or the reverse, do you know if they are compatible?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 09:26 AM

Hi Larry, I think that‘s not working. The Format‘s are different, Cubase is unable to read the Pro Tools file.

I think even the audio files in PT are saved as SD2 file while Logic U.S. saving Themas AIFF or wav. „WAV“ is the only (old) file system everyone can work with ...

[ Edited: 26 February 2018 09:31 AM by Martin G]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 09:57 AM

Martin, are you saying that Pro Tools can’t save a file as a .wav? That would make it pretty much useless. What about it, Larry? Can you export your files to .wav, mp3, etc?

My feeling, as a complete amateur, is that it doesn’t matter what DAW you use. When it comes to collaborating with others, you just send them a .wav file, which they can open up in whatever they are using.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 11:01 AM

Gavin, uh, my Alien-English, sorry. The standard-file-Format of PT is, as far as I know, SP2 (but I could be wrong about that, I haven´t used Pro Tools for years. It IS possible to export or convert a file into .aiff or .wav on ProTools, but you´ve to do that manually.

YES, sending .wav files is good. But on the other Hand. I use Logic X. A friend of mine is using Logic X too. If we start working on a Project, I can toll over the whole Logic pro-Project, my friends can simply load it into logic ... with all the elemtens and stuff.

ProTools can do the same thing…

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 02:19 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 26 February 2018 09:57 AM

Martin, are you saying that Pro Tools can’t save a file as a .wav? That would make it pretty much useless. What about it, Larry? Can you export your files to .wav, mp3, etc?

My feeling, as a complete amateur, is that it doesn’t matter what DAW you use. When it comes to collaborating with others, you just send them a .wav file, which they can open up in whatever they are using.

Yes. Default is .wav

AIFF (whatever that is) and mp3 are also options as well as MXF (whatever that is) on my version (9.0)

That’s another reasons I went ahead and jumped in as a paying customer. PT First (the free version) would only do .wav and I then had use a converter, which was also free, if I was gonna put on soundcloud or e mail. Now, I have the flexibility I want now including being able to convert as I bounce out tracks.

And I believe by paying, it makes me holier than thou and my hair shinier and my teeth whiter AND the world more likely to pay for our music. LOL

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 02:20 PM
Martin G - 26 February 2018 09:26 AM

I think even the audio files in PT are saved as SD2 file while Logic U.S. saving Themas AIFF or wav. „WAV“ is the only (old) file system everyone can work with ...

Ok, so is that to say that .wav is usable across multiple platforms?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 03:02 PM

.wav is the best format for SoundCloud.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2018, 03:39 PM

Huh, my Alien-English. Worth then I thought. I was not referring on the „mixdown“ (bounced) version.
Ya know, when ya do multitrack recording (record an audio of the piano, another one of the vocals) - those audio files are saved in .sp2 format if you use ProTools. The mixdown version (bouncing it into one file) could be in any format.

Logic for example uses .aiff or .wav for everything (audio recording and mixdown). So everything ya do is saved as .wav file

@Larry: .aiff Audio Interchange File Format. It‘s a high quality audio format, uncompressed audio ....

[ Edited: 26 February 2018 03:42 PM by Martin G]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 14, 2018, 06:16 AM

Thanks, Martin.

• Rank
  • Rank