“Rules” for posting?

Mar 27, 2018, 04:33 AM

Dear Mods,

First of all, sorry for my Alien english. I try to write this down in a more polite way. Hey, I am Austrian, normally we speak out what we think, but I´ll try :).

I really have to say, I like this place here very much. There´s nice and helpful people around here.

Who am I to make suggestions but :)...

Well, in the “Lyrics Library” we have the ... let´s say… privilege, to share it with people, who have a high creative output, willing to share their text´s with the world. So, I counted 15 topics by a single member on the first page. Amazing, isn´t it. On the other hand ... “overusing” it, does not do all the other talented members here a favor, because their lyrics dissapear or vanish or move to page 2, 3 ... very quickly.

Another board, I use on a regular base, has already established some “rules” for posting. Like

1) Please critique 2 or more lyrics for every lyric you post.
2) Please post only one lyric per day.

“Rules” like this would help every writer to share his Lyrics with this strong community and help them to get Feedback, wouldn´t it? So my question would be: Would something like this be considered by the mods on this Forum? :)

Thank you
Martin

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 27, 2018, 04:54 AM

How about…......

1) Critique 2 or more lyrics for every lyric you post
2) Post only 1 lyric per day
3) Or…........ SING!!!!  :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 27, 2018, 10:42 AM

Hmmm….

I thought maybe I was losing my mind because I noticed the same thing in the lyrics library, I just assumed it was my cranky disposition.  Thanks for bringing this up Martin and JAPOV, I have noticed some other sites recommend posting as many as 5 helpful comments/critiques per post, though I also notice it is not strictly enforced.  I like the idea of 2 critiques per post, the idea of 1 post per day might be a little extreme for some, but 5 posts per day with no helpful comments/critiques also is extreme and hinders other writers vying for space and true critiques.  I am a little uncomfortable thinking that prolific writers truly trying get feedback on their lyrics might be hindered when limited to 1 post daily, however I also know from experience that some writers merely post just to post and are oblivious to constructive critiques, it’s a double edged sword, and I would hate to discourage a new writer trying to learn.  Mod., I wouldn’t want to be you on this one.  Best wishes,

Speak soon,

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 27, 2018, 11:05 AM

Hey Deacon,

good to hear from you. Well, I personally like the idea of “giving and taking”. IF someone is looking for feedback/help, it´s always good to return the favour, that´s why I like the idea of “critique 2 lyrics for 1” ... on 2nd thought the word “rule”, that I used, was wrong. Maybe it´s enough to “set a reminder” ... to give all the writers here enough room and some space ...

Yeah, I see your point, 1 lyric a day - as it is on the other board I´m in - might be a bit low. You can make it 2 or 3, you name it. But what I don´t really enjoy is having 25 posts on the 1st page with 15 of the same user, and another 20 on the 2nd page ...

It was always sooo much fun. Posting a lyrical idea, getting feedback, helping each other, switching ideas, lines, words ... with many many different people ... seeing how a lyric devolopes into a song finally ... that was cool. The old times ... (hah…) ...

Wasn´t it? :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 27, 2018, 11:51 AM

Lol, the real problem is that musicians post lyrics that they are actually working on! Lyricists just post because they can… I think that a limit is a good idea because it forces you to post your best :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 27, 2018, 01:05 PM
JAPOV - 27 March 2018 11:51 AM

Lol, the real problem is that musicians post lyrics that they are actually working on

You mean guys like me? :(

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 28, 2018, 01:22 AM

Martin,
I noticed the same thing. As a result I’m not visiting the lyrics section as much as I used to. That’s really sad because I love this site and there is a lot of talent here. I have no idea how to solve the problem. I’m not a fan of limits, but maybe that’s the only solution.

All the best
Robert

Robert Baitinger Joined Jun 01, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 28, 2018, 07:27 AM

Martin & Robert,

I usually take a quick look over the Lyrics Library to see if there are any new posts, but I really don’t spend as much time there as I used to, and I think twice before I comment on posts of writers I don’t know.  Not good for those who really want constructive critiques or who need encouragement.  Best wishes,

Speak soon,

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 28, 2018, 11:08 AM

Hi Martin,

I see your point. And I must confess that the posts of one particular member sort of get on my nerves. I too am losing interest in browsing the lyrics section. BUT: restrictive rules can actually choke a forum or even a complete board. Activitity drops and after a while the board is hardly used at all.

I would appreciate if an administrator sinply wrote the guy in question a friendly mail asking him to restrain himself a bit, seeing that he hardly gets any feedback anyway.

Cheers,
Bernd

Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician;
likes rock, writes for anybody anyway
http://bernd-harmsen.com

Bernd Harmsen Joined May 31, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 28, 2018, 11:29 AM

I have been thinking the same for quite a while and have even tried to point out gently to a couple of folks that they would get more feedback if they posted fewer lyrics and if they gave something back in the way of comments and suggestions on others’ posts. I haven’t been able to be quite as active as usual here recently, but when I do comment now it is rarely on anything posted by anyone who never tries to help anyone else.

To be honest, I don’t understand the mentality of those who post multiple lyrics a day and continue to do so even when they get no response. What are they getting from it? I tend to scroll past them and look for something from those who put more work into each lyric and who are generous with feedback to others.

I don’t know about “rules.” Guidelines enforced by peer pressure might do the trick.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 28, 2018, 02:50 PM

Perhaps his english isn’t quite good….....

No, I wasn’t picking on you Martin! :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM