How do i get people to contact me in the music buisness?

Apr 01, 2018, 04:49 PM

How do i get some one to contact me in the music business? To help me write songs?

Michelle Marie Strebe Joined Apr 01, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2018, 12:29 PM

You don’t.
YOU are the one who has to contact THEM and that does not happen until you build relationships with people actively in the music business. You should be working on finding and working with ARTISTS, or if you are an artist, you need to be building relationships with people on the way up in the industry. You should go to where they congregate in your area. You should be meeting people and learning to play on their playing field.

If you go the route to “just trying to find people online” you are more than likely going to find an enormous people trying to separate you from your money. You will be contacted by studios wanting you to record with them, services wanting to place your music, contests, all types of things that cost money. The music business is VERY expensive and very complicated.

Meet people first. Build relationships first. The rest will either come or not, but it is all based upon the relationships you build.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 14, 2018, 09:43 AM

Michelle,

I had not seen any comments on your thread here so I take it you either ignored it or were uninterested in the answers. This is what the problem is with most people that are trying to come into all this. They really have very little understanding of what they are trying to do, and want to skip all the “developing stuff” hard work, building relationships, and just skip over to the “Where do I get a cabinet for my Grammy Awards?”
Life doesn’t really happen that way and especially when it comes to an art form where there are millions of writers, artists, poets, authors, creators all trying to do the same thing and billions of songs a month out there.

There is a video series on the Internet that features very famous artists talking about what they do in a teaching/lecture series. There is Helen Mirren, who teaches acting, Ron Howard and Warner Herzog who do film directing, dozens of very accomplished people talking about their art and craft. It is a very good series and would be worth your time to check out.

It also has the celebrity Steve Martin, teaching comedy. He has had an amazing career, with television. stand up, movies, CD’s, songwriting and these days he is also a bluegrass phenomenon. The guy knows his stuff. In the commercial for his master class he says something like this:
“People are always asking me about getting managers, agents, head shots, etc. I think “Shouldn’t they first worry about GETTING GOOD?’

This is my problem with the way you phrase your question. “How do I get people in the industry to contact me?” As I said, you don’t. The industry has millions of tentacles and you have to find ways to them. But most people will never even get close to anything in the industry. Most people will write some songs on their own, put them up on social network sites and then be forgotten very quickly. Most people quit very quickly, within a couple of years, and it will be just another hobby they tried for a while.

If you want to actually do this, you will have to develop a lot on your own first. You will have to apply trial and error and most things will really not be very good. You will realize there are slamming doors at every turn and rejection is the biggest thing you deal with. Everyone is trying to do the same thing as you and no one is going to promote you over themselves. It is very tough and there is a reason there is a term “Starving Artist.”

The music industry itself has changed and will never be what it was. It is not a monolithic thing. As I said there are millions of artists, and billions of songs and all of those want “someone to contact them too.” The “Industry” can range from a local coffee shop, featuring a performers open mic. An internet pod cast, a writers show or teaching class you might want to attend. Mostly it is about PEOPLE. And you are going to have to physically meet people. You are known by the company you keep and personality and working with others is 100%. Your reputation always preceeds you. That is what it is all about. All that is up to you. It is always about four main things.

Creation of the song. Writing songs that get and keep attention from people, put down the cell phone and want to hear again and again.

Presentation of the song live and recorded. Every time the song or songs (a LOT of them) is performed, recorded, presented, they stand out.

Networking, Continually building friends, fans and contacts in every conceivable direction.

Business. Can range from people just being interested in what you do, from general people listening, to actual financial interests.
And in almost ALL CASES, THERE WILL NEVER BE FINANCIAL RENUMERATION.

And you do this process, repeat, repeat, repeat. It is a life time comittment with NO GUARANTEES IT WILL BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN AN ENJOYABLE HOBBY. Those not interested in that simply need to do it for fun.

You will always run head first into those facts. And how you measure up to them is what you have to learn on your own. People on places like this can help, but the rest is all on you. So how do you get people in the industry to contact you? You learn to be so good they can’t help BUT contact you.
That’s how you do it.

But start at the beginning. Don’t WORRY about the “INDUSTRY.” you can’t do anything about that. Worry about YOU. First get good. Work hard and be happy with what you get. Enjoy yourself. Let the rest take care of itself.

MAB

[ Edited: 14 April 2018 09:50 AM by MBarne4908]

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM