Need help with a song

Apr 18, 2018, 05:46 PM

Hi everyone, I lost my Best friend a little while ago now he died of suicide on April 3rd but in the early morning and I’m thinking of writing a song dedicated to him and I need help as I can’t think of anything! (I love singing as well)

Jadesamson123 Joined Apr 18, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 18, 2018, 08:29 PM

Hello Jade,

Welcome to SW101, and so sorry for your loss.  If you want to write and dedicate a song to your best friend, I would have to believe you want to reflect on the good times, the good things, the positive meaning of his life, what he meant to you and others who knew him, and the joy he brought to all who knew him.  I am not sure if you write lyrics, play an instrument, or compose music, all of these will need to be considered, however you can start by writing down a list of who he was to you and other friends, this can be what you draw off of for your lyrics.  If you play an instrument, you will have some idea of chord progressions and meter, you can begin to structure your melody this way.  If you don’t play an instrument, try humming a melody that is pleasing to you, record it on your i phone so you don’t forget it, and at some point in the future you may collaborate with a musician and lyricist to work out your song.  I would suggest you repost your request in the Collaboration Forum, you may get more views there.  Hope this helps, good luck and best wishes,

Speak soon,

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 18, 2018, 08:47 PM

Hi Jade,

So sorry to hear about your friend. That’s good advice from the Deacon. Try to figure out what you want to say - what emotions you want to express and what you want the listener to know about him and your relationship to him - and post that. Then you can figure out how to say it, maybe with some help from people here.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 19, 2018, 01:45 AM

I would suggest that you focus more on the confusion than the sadness…...... Try a “Can’t you see what you left behind” approach. Illustrate how suicide is a permanent solution for temporary problems. Gavin above is right, start by just writing what you feel and what you want the song to say….... Once you’ve nailed that down the poetry n music will come later. BE FEARLESS! Say what you truly feel.

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM