House of..say it with me… Representatives unanimously passes Music Modernization Act

Apr 26, 2018, 03:07 AM

ASCAP

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers

Dear ASCAP member:

In a historic vote today, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Music Modernization Act by 415-0. You read that right…unanimous!!

The floor debate was likewise unanimous in support of this important legislation for songwriters, composers, music publishers and music licensees, as well as for other music industry stakeholders including recording artists and record labels.

As ASCAP CEO Beth Matthews commented, “Today’s unanimous passage of the Music Modernization Act underscores the widespread consensus that our music licensing system needs immediate updating. After years of advocating for reform, we are thrilled that our country’s leaders are now paving the way for a brighter future for music creators who have struggled under outdated laws for far too long. We thank the House, especially our many congressional champions like Reps. Goodlatte, Nadler, Collins and Jeffries, for their hard work and recognition of music’s massive cultural and economic significance to our country. We urge the Senate to take up this industry-supported bill without delay.”

During debate, Rep. Karen Bass from Los Angeles specifically called out our own President Paul Williams, our Board member Michelle Lewis, and ASCAP writer Ne-Yo as reasons she supported the Music Modernization Act. Similarly, longtime songwriter champion Representative Doug Collins also called out our very own ASCAP CEO Beth Matthews. Years of advocacy by ASCAP Board Members, staff, and you—our thousands of ASCAP members who wrote to and walked the halls of Congress telling your stories—made a demonstrable impression on Members of Congress and directly contributed to this victory today.

Our work is not over, however. We must still navigate passage of the bill in the Senate, a potential reconciliation between House and Senate bills, and a Presidential signature. But today, we should all celebrate House passage as an important milestone on a journey that ASCAP began almost six years ago with the first introduction of the Songwriter Equity Act.

Please join us in helping this important legislation pass the Senate. For information on the Music Modernization Act and how you can become involved, visit http://www.ASCAP.com/Advocacy
ASCAP
© 2018, 1900 Broadway, New York, NY 10023

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 26, 2018, 10:21 AM

I’m completely clueless here Gary…........ What does the “Music Modernization Act” do for us at ground level?

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 26, 2018, 10:32 AM

For Members of Performance Rights Organizations with Registered Copyrights with the Library of Congress, it is a step toward Songwriter and Publisher Royalty collection in the digital era, an update that may make digital ‘users’ of copyrighted works pay Royalties for that use. You may have heard of artists with star power like Lady Gaga et al who get millions of plays but only get paid pennies for that ‘use’ while the ‘user’ makes a good living. This Act, if passed by the Senate without compromising its intent or undercutting its intent, may get creators of musical Intellectual Property paid for use of that Property.

https://www.google.com/search?q=music+modernization+act+of+2018&oq=music+moder&aqs=chrome.5.0l2j69i61l2j69i57j0.12313j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 26, 2018, 10:46 AM

Ahhhhh, so it’s focus is to treat the owner and originator of the intellectual property more fairly with regard to distribution. That can’t be a bad thing :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 27, 2018, 09:22 AM

On this issue I’m staying a little back on the matter. Any progress on efforts in Congress and in the real world is a great thing. And NSAI was essential in passing this. So anyone that has ever asked “IS NSAI worth it?” This is part of that answer.

Having said all that, I feel a little about this like I do the ongoing debate on gun laws. You can pass all the laws in the world you want and still people will violate them. Gun killings happen worldwide and are not going away. And if terrible people want to kill other people, they will use knives, machetes, bombs or vans driving down the road.

A lot of people are not going to pay for music, ever. And they are still going to get it. And a vast majority of writers and artists are going to give music away because that is the only way to get known. That’s the way our cultures have progressed, and while I am greatly appreciative of all of this, in many ways, the horse got out of that barn a long time ago and it is just not going to come back.
But some comments from people inside the industry are always helpful. Here’s something you might find interesting:

http://www.deankay.com/deans-list/180427-nmpa.html

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 27, 2018, 09:37 AM

Hello Gary and MAB,

Thank your for sharing, very insightful, but still a long road to travel.  Even as amateur writers we all should stay abreast of and support those trying to level the playing field.  Best wishes,

Speak soon,

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 27, 2018, 12:04 PM

Lol, I’m pleasantly surprised with you MAB! Frankly, I’m wary of anything the government tries to claim control over….....

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 27, 2018, 03:11 PM

Japov,

Then most disturbing words in the English language, “I’m from the Government and I’m here to help you.” I am wary of ANY government involvement. There is not much that they do well especially in regard to creative anything. I have for years been supportive of doing away with ALL ARTS agencies in the government, replacing them with privately run endowments. If you took the top 100 or so entertainers, (and there are many that qualify in this) actors, producers, directors, musicians, huge stars (Beyonce and Jay Z are about 800 million worth, Garth Brooks ,Taylor Swift, etc. are way over 500-1 billion each) and had those people pony up 1-20 million each, you could replace the NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS, HUMANITIES and half the Govt. funded agencies. Save that money, and have them set up oversight panels.
Steven Spielberg alone could replace the arts councils. Let artists take care of art.

So all these laws, regulations, etc. while I am sure well intentioned, I just don’t expect a lot of changes. But I’m always hopeful for anything. Personally, I’ll always take care of me.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM