What is your #1 songwriting question?

2 of 2

Jun 22, 2018, 12:53 PM

Solo writers or people that “ONLY DO ONE THING” (lyric only or music only) are starting out from a very far behind position. Performers are always going to be ahead of the game because they have to experience REALITY. AUDIENCES. Until you have to do that, deal with crowds, conversations, distractions, like cell phones, sports on televisions, or thousands of people trying to vie for the same attention, you are NEVER going to be able to have practical application in songwriting. A VERY TEACHABLE moment is when non-performers hear their song performed in some of these situation. What seemed like such a great song in the living room,suddenly falls completely flat when brought into the real world of LISTENERS.

I’ve had a LOT of people experience some real dissapointment (including a few that simply quit afterward) of hearing their songs done live and then just be ignored. It is about CONTEXT. I’ve also had more experiences where people heard their contributions MAKE someone’s night and sometimes lives. This is something I have a lot of, because I co-write all songs, and often with non-performers. So that can be a very rewarding experience. Can go both ways.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

2 of 2