Promotion tips for a show I have coming up?

May 15, 2018, 04:10 PM

So, I’m starting to play more shows tarting to play more shows. We had about 30-40 at our first two gigs, looking to try and improve on that as best as I can.

We’re already advertising on social media groups and stuff, already printing fliers. What else have you guys tried that worked well for you??

Ethan Murrell Joined Feb 17, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 15, 2018, 11:53 PM

Just continuous repetition. Use that old fashioned thing THE PHONE. CALL PEOPLE. The more personal you are, the better the chances of a better success. Did you keep a mailing list, business cards, notes on your earlier crowds. They are not always going to contact YOU. You have to contact THEM.

Do you take some invitations or postcards with you to some local events, where your main local music scene is, contacting people there? Where are the artists who are closest to your kind of music playing? Go see some other people and support them and then they may support you.

You are now a politician. There is no more, “put up a poster and that’s it.” Now you have to bombard people with information, yet NOT be a bother. You have to constantly shake hands and kiss babies. Sometimes literally.

And expect to build SLOW. you are not going to go from 30 to 60 to 100 overnight. Hopefully you will show enough steady growth, ten, fifteen, twenty, at a time, that they will continue to book you.

Make sure your music caters to your audience. Keep them entertained. If you don’t do that first, they have no reason to come see you.

GUILT PEOPLE. Your friends, relatives, bosses, old school teachers, friends of friends of friends. Make sure you have a list of people who you might not have thought of for a while. Contact them. Everyone has an online presence now. Use it.

Make sure you always get a list of names, addresses. Building a great mailing list is essential.

Keep at it. Play regularly and give people something to talk about while always wanting more.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM