Apologies for excessive posting

May 15, 2018, 07:05 PM

It came to my attention that I was posting too much and so I’m gonna be more careful about posting excessively. Reason I post is because I’m hoping ppl will like my lyrics and feel inspired to help me write some music. I’m open to collaborating if anyone likes my writing and I’m hoping to find someone in LA so we can meet up and I can help with writing the music. :)

B chavez Joined Nov 27, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 15, 2018, 07:08 PM

Anyone in LA I can easily meet with. If we do it all online I’m afraid will take away from the creativity. But if only online it’s ok too

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 15, 2018, 10:16 PM

It be cool to sit by a piano and try to come up with some solid melodies. We probably can’t do the same if online

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 16, 2018, 11:43 AM

B, I think if you post less, you will get more responses. People are more inclined to come back with comments and suggestions if they feel that a decent amount of effort has gone into the lyric. Posting five per day gives the impression (true or not) that this isn’t the case. Besides, with that many lyrics, it’s hard to pay them the attention they might deserve. You might find that, when people see five lyrics posted one after the other by the same person on the same day, they simply scroll past them without taking the time to check them out. It might not be fair, but it probably happens a lot.

Also, if you respond to others’ posts, people are more likely to appreciate you and try to do the same for you. A lot of people, especially in the Lyrics Library section, seem to post a lot of their own stuff hoping for help from others but seldom, if ever, take the time to help or comment themselves. If you look at who gets the most response when they post something, you’ll notice that they tend to be those who are generous with their own responses.

Do you have any recordings of your singing. It sometimes helps if people can put a face or voice to the name.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 16, 2018, 12:36 PM

Ok. Thanks

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 17, 2018, 05:08 AM

B,

sorry that I was a little “harsh”.

A songwriters forum main purpose is to post lyrics and music, learn from the feedback, give feedback to others, to develop skills and get to know people. Therefore it´s good to post a lyric, wait for feedback and work on the lyric. To make it better.

My major concern, regarding you was, that you’ve posted 200 or 300 texts in the last couple of month. Really excessively. And all of them were in the same structure and in the same style. 4 lines a verse, 4 lines a chorus, 4 lines a verse. And you are always repeating yourself.

I found out, that it´s not “attractive” to composers or potential partners, to see the same thing done over and over again. Hope you are getting the picture.

Just to explain a little: There are millions of Lyricist´s out there. Everyone with a computer sees him or herself as a lyricist or poet. A couple of them are good. The lyricists or “lyric only people” (Amateur) outnumber the potential (amateur) composers, musicians and producers.
The (amateur) composers, musicians and producers outnumber the potential vocalists and artists who might be interested in songs. The potential vocalists and artists outnumber the real artists and so on and so force.

If you want to become a writer, write. That’s ok. But work on your stuff. Put some effort into it. There is no need to have 300 texts or lyrics, you only need a couple of good ones. If you want to become an artist with a record deal, you know. Artists nowadays release an album with 10 or 12 songs every 2 or 3 years. They have no need for 300 lyrics in the same style. They need one good lyric. And then they need the next good lyric. And the next good ... and so on.

Try to discover a variety of new styles and structures. Couple of month ago you wrote, you’d like to do something like Adele. Take a look at Adele´s lyrics and what she is doin. Is it close to what you are doin? Can one of your lyrics match a style like this? Or would you like to try out something else?

You have the chance to try out something new

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 17, 2018, 08:06 AM

Hi B Chavez. I don’t hang out in the Lyrics Library much anymore (more of a Tune Topics gal myself) so you may not be familiar with me, but I’ve been around the Forum for a couple years now. Wonderful place and a lot of fabulous people here. I’d just like to second what Gavin says about giving to receive. Gavin is one of the most generous souls on this site. People respond to that. i.e., I’d be surprised if he ever posted a lyric that didn’t get some comment (even if it’s just to say “well done, brutha”). Collaboration doesn’t often happen without first developing a relationship with people.

Also, speaking from experience, please don’t rule out internet collaboration. Of course, the easiest collaboration happens when you are face to face with your collaborator, but, if you find the right person, you might just find online collaboration is very much a creative treasure trove. You start with a small commitment (one song) and if it is a good partnership, you do more. Check out the Evans and Stokes website for some examples of what can be done through online collaboration with the right partnership. Now, the music may not be your cup of tea (it’s pretty heavy) but you’ll see a pretty creative and varied product there…and ALL of it done online without ever meeting each other. Well, we’ve had one Skype call in the 18 months we’ve been working together and are now working on album number 3.

If you find someone local to you, that’s awesome, but online really can work. Best of luck to ya

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 17, 2018, 11:38 AM

Sure. Well received. Less is more if I go for quality. Thanks