I am a young artist

Jun 05, 2018, 11:52 PM

Hello I am a high school student and I have been writing music for about 4 years now and I am starting to understand production. I would be glad if anyone had tips for me as I would like to get an early start for my music career.
if you’d like I put a link to hear my genre and writing style I am open to any suggestions thank you!

Dmusicstein.bandcamp.com

[ Edited: 06 June 2018 12:15 AM by dmusicstein]

dmusicstein Joined Jun 05, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 06, 2018, 05:51 AM

http://www.Dmusicstein.bandcamp.com (www to make it ‘clickable’)

Welcome to the campus of Songwriter101.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 06, 2018, 11:56 PM

Hello “D”,

Welcome to SW101, good to have you here.  I took a moment to listen to your genre/style, and I am not sure what demographic audience you are writing for, however it is very hard to hear you sing, your enunciation sounds lethargic, just my first impression.  If this is by design, then disregard my impression and carry on.  If not by design, you might try singing clearly and bumping the volume on the vocal track at mastering.  Good luck and best wishes,

Speak soon,

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 07, 2018, 07:43 AM

Hi there,

Nice to meet you. My name is Marc-Alan Barnette “MAB” here, and I work with writers and artists trying to find their way in music. You can do music yourself at any level. You can write your own songs, and attempt to find an audience for them. But if you are wanting to actually develop, you will need to do a few things.

#1. Understand that just throwing some lyrics and music together, does not always equate “songwriting.” It’s just throwing things together.
Finding your genre, studying the people IN that genre, songs in that genre, understanding what makes people interested or not interested are very important. Based upon the link you provided here, so far, you don’t really have anything. Mumbling some random noises to a recorded track, really doesn’t make for a song. Studying other’s will help you learn this in time. Be patient.

#2. GET AROUND OTHER WRITERS.
In every area of the world, there are other people with similar interests. There are open mic or stages, talent nights, karaoke nights, coffee shops, places where people perform music. You need to find those. If you are in high school there are choir or choral groups, other things, clubs or just people who have an interest in music. Music stores also have bulletin boards, for such things. Usually if you find one, it will lead you to others.

#3. Musical instruction.
It never hurts to learn an instrument and develop your skills expotentially.

#4. Use the Internet wisely.
There are millions of instructional videos on YOU TUBE. A “Google” search can be your friend .Google “Songwriting groups around me..”
Study videos of current artists, trends and styles. LISTEN TO A LOT OF MUSIC.

#5. Do it often.
Just write. Write all the time. Write snippets, lines, poems, letters, emails. Explore your writing styles, write in other genres. Take a popular song and De-construct it. How would you approach the same subject matter?

#6. Take some songwriting classes, workshops or networking opportunities. Again, Google is your friend.

#7. BE consistent on this site.
Show up. Post songs. Look at what others are doing. Listen to their music. Be a part of the dialogue. Ask questions. Be consistent and people will take you more seriously. Most people come here and are around a short bit ,then go somewhere else (or quit) after a short time. If you want to learn more, you have to stick with it.

Good luck,
MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 18, 2018, 07:15 AM

Hey D!  I’m new here too!  Looks like as newbies, the BOTH of us are in great hands!  Looking forward to following your journey!

Life is short, Do what you ❤️!
To check out my 365 Songwriting Challenge click the link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR-VlTrsAFM3gYnlAdk4Ucw

Miu Joined Jun 18, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM