dennis dawe Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 08:44 AM

Dennis,

In this you are just repeating the same information on and on. you also have a “They” problem. If every one is a “They” who are the ones who “did make it seem easy?” I know you say “THE BEATLES” in your set up, but you don’t really have any visuals in the rest of the song. Could you mention some songs, “They lived a HARD DAYS NIGHT, but IMAGINED, a much much better life?” Or something that intersperses things about the Beatles in the song. But until you present some tangible, visual images relating to your most important thought, you just repeat the same things we already know. Find your overall most important thought, include that in the hook,then write tangible visual images that relate to the most important thought.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 10:36 AM
MBarne4908 - 11 June 2018 08:44 AM

Dennis,

In this you are just repeating the same information on and on. you also have a “They” problem. If every one is a “They” who are the ones who “did make it seem easy?” I know you say “THE BEATLES” in your set up, but you don’t really have any visuals in the rest of the song. Could you mention some songs, “They lived a HARD DAYS NIGHT, but IMAGINED, a much much better life?” Or something that intersperses things about the Beatles in the song. But until you present some tangible, visual images relating to your most important thought, you just repeat the same things we already know. Find your overall most important thought, include that in the hook,then write tangible visual images that relate to the most important thought.

MAB

I never had a visual in any song and visuals can mean different things to different people. I saw a video of “yesterday” who showed a pregnant girl. “my troubles are here to stay”. I don’t think that’s what he meant. But that’s the visual they saw are they wrong? What visual did you have? What troubles did he have? Did he describe them? I can relate/apply my situation to some songs but never had a visual. Get out of the book mentality where you should/can describe everything. There’s people preforming with music not just reading. The delivery and sound can put you in a mood and some say music is all about mood. Be it happy, sad, get up and go, or whatever. Some people just want some noise playing in the background they don’t care if a song has visuals or not.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 10:47 AM

That is fine if you want to do that. Just making an observation. If you want to repeat the same information, that is fine. It is just not much of a point. But as you say, it’s not as easy as it looks.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 11:35 AM

By the way, that was not the Beatles who did that video. They didn’t do a video on YESTERDAY. They started doing videos with Penny Lane, and Strawberry Fields Forever. Which were both pretty visually descriptive, by the way. I think the “Yesterday” video was done years later, by either a film school student or possibly someone who was doing their own video on it. I don’t think the Beatles had anything to do with it. They started doing videos, playing around, actually “FOOL on the HILL” was one, but most of them were for their own private use and were used decades later in the biographies and their “Anthology” series. Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were intended for public use when they quit touring in 1966.

Paul wrote very descriptive and visual, John more poetic and ethereal. Much had to do with the drug era they were in. My point on all of this, is the farther you get away from descriptive writing in this day and age, the faster people tune you out. That might not be of a concern to you, as you might just be writing for yourself, and that is a very valid reason to write. If you want to write for audiences, in today’s incredibly distracted populace, you might want to consider putting in visuals.

If you want to do song study, and use the Beatles, that is a great place to go. But if you want visuals, John pretty much has a ton of them in most of his songs, “IMAGINE” being one of the most visual songs ever written. He also did some things in the late 60’s, where he simply made up words and phrases to confound the press because they continued to read things in his songs that weren’t really there. “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” being one where they claimed it was LSD influenced. It really wasn’t. His son Julian drew a picture and when John asked him what it was he said it was “his friend Lucy, in the sky with diamonds.” John had a love/hate affair with the press, particularly after the “BEATLES were more popular than Jesus” controversy. So a lot of very odd things he wrote were just to tweak the press and critics and keep them guessing what he was talking about.

Sorry to intrude on your thread. I’ll bow out now. Good luck in your writing.
MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 11:43 AM
MBarne4908 - 11 June 2018 10:47 AM

That is fine if you want to do that. Just making an observation. If you want to repeat the same information, that is fine. It is just not much of a point. But as you say, it’s not as easy as it looks.

MAB

You never answered these questions. What visual did you have? What troubles did he have? Did he describe those troubles? Did you simply like the song?

P.S. You say it’s not much of a point but i’m glad you got the point.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 11:53 AM

Dennis,

I’m sorry but I didn’t know there was a question. I was giving my observation. You say “It’s not as easy as it sounds.” I got that in the first verse pattern. Then you repeat the same information throughout the song. It doesn’t give anything that you are talking about. You talk about writing, but you don’t give any examples of what writing you are talking about and then you get into a bunch of “THEY’S” and don’t define who the “THEY’S” are. You give reference to the “BEATLES” in your set up, (I don’t know if you are using that as a line,) but then you don’t reference the Beatles in anything you do in the song. So basically it is just saying “It’s not as easy as it sounds” but you don’t say what “IT” Is, what “As Easy” is, or what “Sounds” is.

So to me there is really no point or questions. Just a lot of the same comments over and over. If that’s your point, I got it in the first stanza.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 12:56 PM
MBarne4908 - 11 June 2018 11:53 AM

Dennis,

I’m sorry but I didn’t know there was a question. I was giving my observation. You say “It’s not as easy as it sounds.” I got that in the first verse pattern. Then you repeat the same information throughout the song. It doesn’t give anything that you are talking about. You talk about writing, but you don’t give any examples of what writing you are talking about and then you get into a bunch of “THEY’S” and don’t define who the “THEY’S” are. You give reference to the “BEATLES” in your set up, (I don’t know if you are using that as a line,) but then you don’t reference the Beatles in anything you do in the song. So basically it is just saying “It’s not as easy as it sounds” but you don’t say what “IT” Is, what “As Easy” is, or what “Sounds” is.

So to me there is really no point or questions. Just a lot of the same comments over and over. If that’s your point, I got it in the first stanza.

MAB

I asked you questions in my first response. I didn’t say the Beatles made that video. The Beatles repeated lyrics over and over in some of their songs. The whole song is about (they) bands wanting to be the Beatles. Writing as good as the Beatles. Sounding as good as the Beatles. Working as hard as the Beatles did. I can’t stand today’s music. I didn’t like all kinds of music back then, like heavy metal, punk rock, etc…If you think rhyming words is all there is to music more power to you.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 01:12 PM

Dennis,

I don’t really get where you are coming from. I made comments about what you said. Your “questions” to me, are what you have to answer yourself. It is your song. I simply said you were repeating the same message over and over again, and yes, they did do some of that in the Beatles, but they made a point. They had a central subject. I didn’t see any central subject in yours.

But it really doesn’t matter what I think on any of this. I’m simply giving an opinion, which I thought that is what you posted songs for. My suggestions were if you were talking specifically about the Beatles, it might be a good idea to mention something about the Beatles to reinforce your hook. But you don’t want to do that so that is fine. It is your song. I only offered an opinion. Worth what you paid for it. Nothing.
I’ll back on out of this thread now. Again, good luck with your writing.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 01:49 PM
MBarne4908 - 11 June 2018 01:12 PM

Dennis,

I don’t really get where you are coming from. I made comments about what you said. Your “questions” to me, are what you have to answer yourself. It is your song. I simply said you were repeating the same message over and over again, and yes, they did do some of that in the Beatles, but they made a point. They had a central subject. I didn’t see any central subject in yours.

But it really doesn’t matter what I think on any of this. I’m simply giving an opinion, which I thought that is what you posted songs for. My suggestions were if you were talking specifically about the Beatles, it might be a good idea to mention something about the Beatles to reinforce your hook. But you don’t want to do that so that is fine. It is your song. I only offered an opinion. Worth what you paid for it. Nothing.
I’ll back on out of this thread now. Again, good luck with your writing.

MAB

I can’t answer what your visual was, etc. I’m not as good as the Beatles, and I don’t think I A’m, but some people think they are. I thought I was making that point. They aren’t as good as the Beatles, as much as they wanna be. I don’t mind what people think and I’m free to agree or disagree. Is everything a person says always right? Can they make a mistake? Can someone change their mind? Do all people see things the same way? I can only speak for myself and I know people have changed my mind more than once.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 04:03 PM

Hey Dennis, it depends what you want your song to do. If you want the listener to be able to close his eyes and be transported somewhere, or just to smile in recognition at what he hears on his car radio, or laugh at what the song describes, or even just understand why the guy loves the gal, the chances are this will be done by helping him form a picture in his mind. If you regard the lyric as completely unimportant to the song, as I think you once said on a different thread, then, really, who cares?

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 06:09 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 11 June 2018 04:03 PM

Hey Dennis, it depends what you want your song to do. If you want the listener to be able to close his eyes and be transported somewhere, or just to smile in recognition at what he hears on his car radio, or laugh at what the song describes, or even just understand why the guy loves the gal, the chances are this will be done by helping him form a picture in his mind. If you regard the lyric as completely unimportant to the song, as I think you once said on a different thread, then, really, who cares?

I just want people to like the song. If they sing along, hmm along, makes a person wanna dance, whatever they do to make them happy. Ask the average person what their imagining when they hear a song. How many times have you thought the song meant this and you found out it meant that or you thought it was about this and it was about that and you said oh well, I still like the sound. Vrs oh it means that, I don’t like it or the sound. The Beatles were masters at both the sound and lyrics. Most people thought “Let It BE” was a great song. What did you imagine? I don’t remember saying that. What I remember saying “why are most remakes so bad”. “The same words but the sound is different”. I remember hearing George say, in regards to Norwegian Wood, I thought it needed something. I enjoy lyrics so I try

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM