Need contacts for song publishers

Jun 11, 2018, 09:39 AM

U have some very good semis I’d like to submit but don’t have any contacts for music publishers. Could someone please help?

carroll kiphen Joined Feb 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2018, 10:42 PM

Your local librarian might be able to help. There may be ‘Registries’, books listing Music Publishers.

There was a book published annually called “Songwriter’s Market”. It had some inaccuracies, but some good info too.

Since the ‘market’ has gone through much change, many labels and publishers disappearing, I’m not sure what’s still out there.

Libraries may not ‘have’ the book you want but can ‘get’ the book through inter-library loan programs.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2018, 12:54 AM

What everyone has to remember about publishers is that they represent the BUSINESS side of a song or a songwriter. That means it is involved with MONEY. Or the prospective of a song or writer making money. This is where most writers disconnect. They feel that “I write some songs, why can’t I get a publisher?” Because for the most part, what most writers are doing has no chance of making money. They are not attached to artists, which are the key to making money, and the days of “getting something together then PITCHING IT TO artists, no longer applies.
And since 99.99% of songs will never earn one dollar, that weeds out the opportunities to find publishers down a great deal.

In Nashville alone we have lost thousands of professional songwriters and thousands of publishers who simply quit the business because they can no longer make money. And many, many people listed in Songwriter’s market and other publications are actually not “publishers” in the true sense of the word. They are actually FEE FOR SERVICE song pluggers, or placement people, who charge for their services.
Anyone trying to deal with this need to understand the reality of the music BUSINESS before they try to get into it.

Do some research and find out what actual publishers do, before attempting to contact anyone. You need to understand the in’s and outs of the business and most importantly RELATIONSHIPS and the nature of the personal skin in the game. For the most part now, writers have very little contact with publishers until they have developed a relationship and then people who even have songs recorded don’t actually have PUBLISHING deals until AFTER they have a couple of hits.

Getting a publisher now is not as simple as picking a name out of a magazine. That just doesn’t happen anymore, and even in the days people thought it happened, it actually drew more sharks than anything else. In this case, IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS. Just a way to be parted from your money.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2018, 10:52 AM

I had given up on trying several years back but was looking into it because one of my new collaborators was wanting to shop the songs we are doing. He has a terrific voice and the songs are very good. Seems a shame to waste talent and it not be heard.it

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2018, 11:02 AM

If he has a great voice he should do (perform, produce, and market) the songs himself. No use trying to ‘pitch’ them to others if there are no established connections.

Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician;
likes rock, writes for anybody anyway
http://bernd-harmsen.com

Bernd Harmsen Joined May 31, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2018, 11:04 AM

I’m thinking the same thing

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2018, 12:57 PM

Carroll,

That is PRECISELY what you should be doing. Encouraging him to do the songs himself. People get so focused on pitching songs to other artists, they forget the most important pitches are what they THEMSELVES DO. Everybody who has the ability to sing, should be doing the songs they write. Record them, sure, pitch them, when possible, but the first and foremost “pitch” is to themselves. People should stop looking far away for the ability to increase their songs, do them themselves.

Get a quality recording. Get someone to do a simple video, or slide show for their song. See if there might be college kids in the area who might be looking for practical experience in audio visual work. Have him do a camera phone video for YOU TUBE and FACEBOOK. Promote yourself in every way possible.

This is got to become the “mindset” of the 21st century. We can no longer depend on “getting songs to publishers” and THEM pitch the songs to artists who will record them. That has all changed. And to tell you the 100% honest truth, it was NEVER that easy to get cuts even in the “fat” days of the music industry. They really weren’t that “fat.” Now we have to do everything ourselves. IT makes us be smarter with money. Write more songs to pick the best of them. Get with other people, to write, perform or “extend your reach.” Everything is a pitch. Everything is an opportunity.

Good opportunity for you right in front of your face. That’s your first step.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM