collecting small fry

Jun 28, 2018, 11:36 AM

Cashing international royalties DOES work - other than some people sometimes seem to suggest.

Last year its was Belgium and Austria, this year it’s Belgium again and Denmark. In any case a little money does trickle in from sometimes unexpected sources (Austria and Denmark). And as with water wells it does take time. Two years for me in Germany. Which is not too bad, since the German royalties also take 6 months to find their path into my pocket. Apropos “pocket”: it’s pocket money - for me, at least. But what can you expect if a song that uses your lyrics is performed publicly just twice (two songs in Denmark performed twice makes about €3 for me as their lyricist) or six times (four songs performed six times in Belgium make €70).

It’s more affording to look after things yourself. My next performance will be on the 5th of July. Apart from what will be collected in the ‘hat’ that will make about 100 Euro next year (with one exception here I’m the composer as well as the lyricist). Always pays to look after yourself ;-)

Keep it up, be patient, and reap the rewards!

Cheers,
Bernd

Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician;
likes rock, writes for anybody anyway
http://bernd-harmsen.com

Bernd Harmsen Joined May 31, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 28, 2018, 11:50 AM
Bernd Harmsen - 28 June 2018 11:36 AM

Cashing international royalties DOES work - other than some people sometimes seem to suggest.

Last year its was Belgium and Austria, this year it’s Belgium again and Denmark. In any case a little money does trickle in from sometimes unexpected sources (Austria and Denmark). And as with water wells it does take time. Two years for me in Germany. Which is not too bad, since the German royalties also take 6 months to find their path into my pocket. Apropos “pocket”: it’s pocket money - for me, at least. But what can you expect if a song that uses your lyrics is performed publicly just twice (two songs in Denmark performed twice makes about €3 for me as their lyricist) or six times (four songs performed six times in Belgium make €70).

It’s more affording to look after things yourself. My next performance will be on the 5th of July. Apart from what will be collected in the ‘hat’ that will make about 100 Euro next year (with one exception here I’m the composer as well as the lyricist). Always pays to look after yourself ;-)

Keep it up, be patient, and reap the rewards!

Cheers,
Bernd[/quote

How do you make the 100 Euro? Do you charge yourself? Or does the venue have to pay for the honor of having you there? :)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 29, 2018, 10:54 AM

Normally, the organizer - the proprietor of the venue - is supposed to pay the license fee. I could do all covers or some covers, you see. I actually do play the odd Beatles song. For the next concert I assume the role as organizer myself but I charge the fee to the proprietor (in addition to the € 100 he grants me, should the ‘hat’ contain less). The ‘hat’ is for the musician, the royalties are for the creators (Yoko Ono who holds John Lennon’s rights, I guess, and me). Also, regional artists (or rather their songwriters) are sponsored in Germany, so they receive more royalties than the license fees amount to (the fee for a small concert is €25, yet more than €100 royalties are being paid out). I actually paid the fee for my very first concert last year myself (but the ‘hat’ covered my expenses anyway).

Bernd

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 29, 2018, 12:09 PM

So Bernd the impressario and events organizer collects license fees from the owner of the venue and pays them to Bernd the songwriter. Meanwhile, Bernd the performer collects the money in the hat for himself and, in addition, Bernd the taxpayer chips in his share of a hundred euros or so in the form of a subsidy to Bernd the songwriter? Simple :)

Unless he performs a Beatles song, in which case Bernd the impressario gives some of the money he has collected from the owner of the venue hosting Bernd the performer of Bernd the songwriter’s songs to his old friend Yoko Ono.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 30, 2018, 07:08 AM

Roughly that’s it ;-)

Namely when I work with bands I have difficulty explaining to them that there are two quite different roles involved when they perform:
a) the performing musicians;
b) the creators of the songs.

It’s easier to understand when I can make them picture themselves as a cover band. In the next step I explain to them that what they are doing when performing their own songs is very much the same - they are sort of covering their own songs, and are due the royalties that normally would go to the bands (actually just the songwriters of the bands) they could have covered. Easy.

That I also assume the role of the concert organizer this time is because the actual organizer has next to none experience in this respect. Others normally handle it themselves but spare themselves the bother of handing in the setlists (although they are legally obliged to do so) so the PRO (performing rights organization) has no clue as to where the royalties should go. Other than in Europe it is not required to do this iin the US where the PROs simply distribute the money to the authers of the chart leading hits. In both cases it’s better if songwriters look after such matters themselves.

Bernd

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM