Is there still interest for goold old fashioned music?

5 of 5

Jul 09, 2018, 09:47 AM

Leo,

That is not exactly correct. I want EVERYONE to succeed. And I am sure you will get more attention by doing something than people get by NOT doing something. That I applaud you on. I just like everyone to approach whatever they do with eyes wide open and be cautious what they get involved with. I believe in the dreamer and the dream just want to inject reality into those dreams.

I am from an older generation where you actually had to get OUT OF THE LIVING ROOM and do things. You had to learn your craft, build your reputation and actually physically MEET people face to face, to have any kind of impact. Nowadays everyone takes this Internet route, some do fine, most find it very unfulfilling. I am more concerned with the overall craft of songwriting, the relationships people build, because we are losing our humanity, and it is coming out in every facet of our lives. Songwriters and artists are abandoning themselves by doing Internet only approaches and the general public finds it less and less appealing enough to pay for anything. And that is the bottom line. The reason people no longer pay for or even have much of an interest in music at all is because it is just one more thing that they have limitless supply of. They take it for granted and all creators are left behind in the shuffle.

It is what it is. All I and I believe Robert are saying is “be careful in what you get into and expect very little. That way you won’t be disappointed with the results. My main focus is in QUALITY of product. So whatever gets you motivated to create better product is fine.

But I still strongly encourage you to attempt to meet people in your area. It might not be feasable, might not be applicable. But it is preferable. And if you are trying to learn from other people’s experience, you really have to do that face to face.

Good luck in whatever you do.
MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 09, 2018, 11:36 AM

Gavin. Yes, I will share. Success or failure.

MAB, I am also from the older generation. A long time ago I had the idea I could live from selling CD’s. But when using Spotify, I know now, this road is very narrow. It is still there, but not easy to go. Why would one buy a CD if one has unlimited music for 10 dollar per month. I don’t like saying it, but streaming is the future.

I am still thinking: If some can do it, I also have a change. Most do not even try and many using the wrong roads. By searching I am trying to avoid other people’s mistakes. One of them is Submithub.com. It looks good, it not really a scam, but it doesn’t work. So I skip that one.

Yes, fitting my music into a genre is not easy as you said earlier, but already have found many moods my music could fit in.

I don’t mind talking about other options besides this one, but at this moment I am not open minded in not trying playlists. I have to fail first.

Leo

Leo Joined Jul 03, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 09, 2018, 11:46 AM

Yes MAB, I couldn’t have said it better. Leo, don’t be frustrated if your plan doesn’t work.
Good luck!

All the best
Robert

Robert Baitinger Joined Jun 01, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 09, 2018, 11:59 AM

Hi Robert

Don’t worry. I can accept failure. Then I have closure. With me it would be the opposite. I do not want to think for weeks / months / years: “What if I would have tried it.”

Leo

Leo Joined Jul 03, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 09, 2018, 12:05 PM

MAB is certainly right about real face-to-face interaction being satisfying. I recently started attending monthly meetings of the local NSAI chapter. There’s something nice about just being in the same room with like-minded people. I was worried at first that I wouldn’t have much to contribute, but I’ve been able to make a few suggestions that have been appreciated by other members and have learned quite a bit myself. I’ve also had the pleasure of hearing some really good music and meeting people who I hope will become friends over time.

There’s also a lot that can be learned on the internet and in forums like this, which have some similarities to being in a room with people, so there’s definitely a place for both.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 09, 2018, 05:24 PM

Gavin,

That is GREAT! What chapter did you join? I have been with NSAI for 30 years and a mentor and professional for over 20. I’ve done workshops in 75 of the 110 in the US and Canada. It is great to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Your dues help us fight the fight in Congress and continue the work of songwriters everywhere. Thank, you for joining and participating. They are lucky to have you. Say hello to anyone I might know.

Leo, don’t look at any of this as “success OR failure.” It’s not. That is not what a career is. It doesn’t rise and fall on one song, one meeting, one recording, one show. It is a culmination of a lifetime of work. This is just another thing you are doing. It might work fine and you get some people who didn’t know you or your music before will know you. They might share what you do with others, who will in turn share it. That is all a very good thing. It might give you a platform for other songs.
If it doesn’t yield a lot, either in money or acknowledgement, what does it matter? You are just trying different things which is what we all do.
Spotify might be a good thing or not be the right thing for you. You may find others. Most people are on a multiple of platforms, so it is just one of many, and many more are invented and introduced every day. And of course, many close every day as well.

You do this every day. And even if you get success, you don’t just do that and say “Well I have success now, so that’s it.” You do it again.

All that I am really saying is that you should enjoy the journey and do things for the right reasons. Making money is always a nice thing but not the primary reason for being involved in any of this in my opinion. It is to share what you have inside you with as many as you can. If you always do that, you will always succeed.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 09, 2018, 05:41 PM

MAB, it’s the Charlotte, NC chapter.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 10, 2018, 08:23 AM

Gavin, that is a great chapter. I have had a lot of fun up there. It is where Doak Turner, who was the most motivated NSAI chapter co-ordinator came from. He is a legend among those guys. I also found some of my best students out of that chapter. Many who ended up moving to Nashville. You should have a great time with them. Very good move.  I hope it works well and you’ll keep us posted of things you get into through those guys.
Tell them I said hi.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 10, 2018, 08:29 AM

Leo,

One of the things I’m trying to stress on this thread is you simply need to be prepared for whatever you do. You need to make sure your songs have the best possible chance, sound, and in this day and age, look. We are in a video world now, and if we are promoting our music, we need to have some type of video presentation as well. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, sometimes a photo slide show will work fine. But people today like to have something to look at as well as listen to. That is why a big part of any artist’s career is a music video, and a lot of the budget spent on music is through that. Hopefully you’ll get a few more likes and shares and drive traffic to your music.

I recently have had to do that on a song called “STEPPING INTO MY SHOES” which is a wedding song, written by myself and another guy for our respective upcoming daughter’s weddings. His daughter’s is getting married in August, mine in Sept. I had a friend put together a video slide show for my daughter’s wedding featuring photos from her life, family,friends, etc.
I’ve posted it in the video section here.

Maybe you can get some ideas and possibly do something similar if it works for you. Our songs are our children. Give them the best chance they have for attention. And enjoy what you do in sharing that with others.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 10, 2018, 08:40 AM

Hey Leo, (sorry to keep on this thread but it is really a thing so many people are interested in at this point, trying to make money with music on the Internet), so I will add one more thing. I’ll back off that after I promise.

The way to look at this is NOT a “SUCCESS OR FAILURE” proposition. Nothing in music is just one song, one meeting, one platform, etc. It is a culmination of a lifetime of work. You are trying something, that is all. If it get you a few more people that didn’t know about you before, interested in your music, that is a good thing. If it brings in a few dollars (or whatever the Dutch equivalent is) so be it. It is about “getting your music OUT THERE.” that is the point of what you, and all of us, are doing.

And if it doesn’t work out to your hopes, so what? You’ve done some practical application, learned more about the process, and forced yourself to give your songs their best chance for success. I always maintain that while having a financial component is a good thing, it is not the most important thing when it comes to music. That is TOUCHING LIVES. If you can make some solid connections with other people, that is the reason we should be writing. If you want financial security through music, take the money you spend on your music and buy a lottery ticket.

Good luck and keep trying things. Most people are on multiple online platforms, web sites, streaming sites. No one does just one thing. That is no longer even an option. Now we do EVERYTHING we can. And more sites open up every day and of course, close every day. So the more activity you generate, the better off you are going to be, more chances you have. Never put all your eggs in one basket, ever. If one thing doesn’t work, try other things. That’s the nature of all of this.

Good luck.
MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 10, 2018, 07:39 PM

Royston,

Now that is the BEST example of the REASON to do this. You are putting your song directly to the people and it is working for you. That is great, thanks for letting us know. You see, I very much believe in music in many other ways than financial. It is TOUCHING LIVES, which obviously yours is doing. Good luck in wherever it takes you. Hope you stick around here and let people know how it goes.

Congratulations.
MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

5 of 5