Plug into the business

Blanket License

For an annual fee, radio and television stations, public broadcasters, cable stations, universities, restaurants, programmed music services, etc. can acquire a “blanket license” from a performing rights organization such as BMI. This license gives them the right to perform every piece of music contained in the respective repertoire as often as they wish during the term of the license.

Comments (0)


Unauthorized recording and selling of a song.

Comments (0)


The most commonly used word in reference to the collection of songs owned by a publisher/songwriter.

Comments (1)


Signal or amplifier overload, a form of distortion.

Comments (1)


Person who creates musical compositions for motion pictures and other audio/visual works, or the creator of classical music compositions.

Comments (1)

Compulsory Mechanical License

A license provided by the Copyright Law allowing anyone to record a song that has previously been commercially recorded with authorization, as long as they pay at least the royalties set by a Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel. The royalty rate for 2004 is $.085 per song for each CD or tape made and distributed, or $1.65 for each minute of playing time, whichever is greater. The rates for subsequent years are listed under STATUTORY MECHANICAL ROYALTY RATE.

Comments (0)

Controlled Composition

A composition written or co-written by the recording artist (and sometimes the producer per the artist contract) under an exclusive recording agreement. Typically, the recording company will pay 75 percent of the minimum statutory rate on only 10 cuts per CD and two cuts per single, regardless of the actual number of sides or length of the composition(s).

Comments (0)


The exclusive right, granted by law for a stated period, usually until 70 years after the death of the surviving author of the work, to make, dispose of, and otherwise control copies of literary, musical, dramatic, pictorial and other copyrightable works. The exclusive right is set forth in the 1976 Copyright Act Section 106.

Comments (3)

Copyright Deposit Registration

To register a musical work under the 1976 Copyright Act:

1. Send a request for an application to the Copyright Office, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Avenue, S E., Washington, D.C. 20559-6000 or download the application from the Copyright Office website at To order an application by telephone, call (202) 707-9100.

2. When an application is completed, send it back to the Copyright Office with:
a) one copy of manuscript, lead sheet or tape if unpublished or
b) two copies of manuscript (sheet music) or tape if published and
c) the appropriate registration fee, by money order, bank draft or check, made payable to Register of Copyrights.

Comments (0)

Cue Sheet

A listing of the music used in a television program or motion picture by title, composer, publisher, timing and type of usage (e.g., background, feature, theme) usually prepared by the producer of the program or film.

Comments (0)
2 of 9
 <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »